2 November 2013

Circular No 626









Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 2 November 2013 No. 626
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
I have a question.  How is it possible for one of our oldboys to die in Trinidad and our Association does not know about it, and thanks to our grapevine we find out through Canada about the event???
When one of our guys dies in Italy we get the news faster??
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
Attila GYURIS
Oct 30 at 9:51 PM
Oh no, not another one from my class!  
First Fulvio Cantore last week, and now Michael Laughlin. 
My condolences to the family.
Michael was actually with me in the Form V class of 1969, not 1970.  
I remember him as the singer in the school rock band, and as a trumpet player in the school marching band.
He was in the house of St Lawrence (green and white colours).
He liked to play cricket.
Attila Gyuris
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
Kazim Abasali
Oct 31 at 3:27 AM
So sorry to hear of our brother Michael.
May his soul rest in peace.
We pray that his family is strengthen by the Grace of Almighty God during this time of their loss.
Let us continue to share our love with one another my dear Mt. Brothers...........
Kaz
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Glen Mckoy
Today at 1:58 PM
Dear Attila & Brothers,
I am so sorry to read this, I was having some problems with the internet here in Mexico.
Michael has been on my list for many years, every Christmas I would get an email from him, thanking me for the emails I sent him. 
I was there for his last year, just a kid at 12 yrs old. 
May our brothers rest in peace. 
Fulvio Cantore, so sorry to read this also, may God Bless Our Brothers and their Families at this time.
Take care, best regards, back to Canada on Monday, 
Glen McKoy. 
(Tony Viera, someone in trying to get money with your email. change password.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Rafael Echeverría
Today at 7:10 PM
Dear Mount boys
May Michael and Fulvio, rest in peace .... Was Michael, Harry Laughlin's kid brother? ...
I believe a remember him as a kid but I'm not sure ...
CheChe .... 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Attila GYURIS
Today at 8:42 PM
There was also a Phillip Laughlin.
Actually, now that I come to think of it,  
It was Phillip who was in my final Form V class, not Michael.
Was Michael Laughlin related to all the other Laughlins at the Mount, I suppose?
Attila Gyuris
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos
Oct 30 at 2:41 PM
Gentlemen,
It has come to my attention today that Michael Laughlin - Class of 1970 - has died about one month ago, in Trinidad.
I'm told that he had died as a result of a brain tumour, but if anyone has any other information on the matter, perhaps you'd like to share it with us.
In fact, for the record, if anyone would like to share a memory or two about our brother and friend, please do so.
I'll combine whatever comes in to me, and will re-post it all, once I've completed the job.
May his soul rest in peace.
Nigel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos
Oct 31 at 6:23 AM
Gentlemen,
I have heard from 2 of our Old Boys that Fulvio Cantore - Class of '69 - has died.
I'm told that he was on vacation in Italy, where he had a stroke.
He was put into an induced coma in the hospital, but he never recovered from it.
If anyone would like to say something about Fulvio, please send me a note and I shall try to incorporate it into a subsequent email.
May God have mercy on his soul.
May he rest in peace.
Nigel
---------------------------------------------------------------.
Michael D'Ornellas
Oct 31 at 9:21 AM
What terrible news. I do not know what is happening but I am loosing so too many good young friends of late.
Fulvio and his brother Oscar were really likable Abbey boys who I claim as my friends. Their dad was a pilot and he thrilled us so many times by flying his plane extremely close to the school ... this was such a treat.
Fulvio was very kind and unselfish ... he was always concerned about the welfare of his peers.
I am truly saddened by Fulvio's passing.
Please convey my deep sympathy to the family and assure them I am there with them in Spirit.
Thanks for informing me Nigel.
Blessings to all,
Michael D'Ornellas 'Specs'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Carlos Dvorak
Oct 31 at 10:35 AM
Dear Friends,
I can only say that Fulvio was one of my GOOD FRIENDS not only from Mount SB, but also in my life.
May he rest in peace and receive GOD Blessings.
Carlos Dvorak
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
PART TWO of expenses paid for Fr. Cuthbert´s trip to Europe
This part two indicates that there has been some confusion as to what was offered during the meeting where the gift was handed over and where a large group assisted,
I was privileged to be there.
I just do not understand how could there be such confusion between the Association and the Abbey.
It seems that those who promised did not establish parameters and made no written communications, as business men would do, to delineate the parameters of the deal, in this case the promise.
It seems to me that in our association, wishes overtake the reality.  That is why the Association is unable to fulfil its goals.
A clear example is the lack of stamina just to do what was written in the last Minutes some years back.
None of the members that assisted the reunion have either started or have made any progress to report.
Now maybe there are new Minutes cancelling the old one, that we were to pursue.
If so we have forgotten to inform the members, the oldboys or maybe there is “Much Ado About Nothing as Shakespeare would say.
So here is the result, that makes me wonder about the future.
-----------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM
What I remember our agreeing to is paying for Fr. Cuthbert's business class ticket and the DIFFERENCE between the economy fare and the business class for Max and 1000 Euro in pocket money.
Originally it was only Fr. Cuthbert's ticket and $1000US.
In all of my discussions with Max this is exactly what I conveyed to him.
Possibly, Gary and he have discussed differently.
Normally, the monastery would have to pay all expenses for them both.
Importantly, please remember also that Roger Juman promised $2000 TT( which is part of the total that we agreed to and not in addition to it) on the condition that he gets a receipt VAT invoice (which could be made out for a part - - his share) in that amount.
Gary, please ensure that you get that invoice now and collect the payment from him. Between you Max and the Abbot I am sure that you can take care of it, so that Roger gets the invoice and either ASAA, MSB or the airline gets the money.
Gabe, if you plan to sell the foreign currency to convert to local $ - I will be happy to buy it at the bank purchase rate and will write a cheque to whoever in it's stead.
Over to you Gary!
Sincerely,
Joe
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: G M <travellingcompanion@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 00:00:57 +0000
Dear All,
Fr. Cuthbert and Max will be leaving next Thursday 29th August 2013 for Amsterdam.
As per the information below the best course of action will be to forward a cheque to the Mount.
Gabriel will confirm the amount and he will be making the cheque to the Mount for the said amount.
Your thoughts on this will be appreciated.
Regards
Gary
------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: gabefaria@yahoo.com
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 19:29:00 -0400
Okay I can make a chq for the amt I collected in TT$.
Who do I make it out to.
Rgds
GF
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Aug 20, 2013, at 11:57 AM,
G M <travellingcompanion@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi Gabriel,
Just spoke with the Abbot and he has informed me that the booking has already been made for Fr. Cuthbert and Max.
The Abbot suggests that we can make a cheque to the Mount for TT$ 38,000.00 and €3,000.00 spending money for hotel accommodation.
Judging from the spreadsheet there is just enough for the two tickets.
So we can either give him what we have and they will sort it out how to allocate the funds or split the amount giving the € 3,000.00 and the balance for the air travel.
My thinking is with the former.
What do you suggest?
Just to confirm that the total collected as seen from the spreadsheet is US$ 6,480.00?
Thanks again.
Regards
Gary
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Now, to the awaited photo show.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
MSBAP17MI6512, Mount Inside
12WD1838WDI, Wbladimiro Diaz the fast foot guy.
60AF0010AFRWORK, more on homework, remember?
13LK7506LKEGRP, Ladislao Kertesz and group





No comments:

Post a Comment