23 November 2013

Circular No 629








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 23 November 2013 No. 629
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Nigel Boos
Oct 25
Laz,
Just thought you should be kept abreast of this particular discussion.
David "Bandit' de Castro is being lauded for his contribution to the steel band, and the Abbey School is being recognized as the First "Pan in School", all because of a wonderful article by Salah Wilson about Bandit's personal history with our national instrument.
More, if you need it.
Keep well.
Nigel
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Salah Wilson <sal_wils@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: The First "Pan In School" in the world (Historically)
Date: 24 October, 2013 10:34:18 PM EDT 
Hi, Bandit, 
Because that article was designed for "When Steel Talks" (WST) ... I used the "Steel Bandits" ...some people already want your book ...but more importantly, I want them (WST) to do an interview with you (whch I hope that you will agree to) where they can get the real story from "the horse's mouth".
They will contact you ...it is important for the world to know about you and all of your contributions to the culture of Trinidad and Tobago "Pan, Calypso and Mas" ...You are a big part of our history, my brother, and we should all be proud of your genuine work.
I know that I am ..... and I have gotten feedback from quite a few Mount Boys who feel a great sense of pride to have been a part of that wonderful club of "Abbey School".
Bandit, your story is a great story because it is a true story and you are so colourful that they should make a movie about you ..I really mean that.
When they (WST) interview you ...it would be great to give them more pictures from your different groups and your Calypso Monarch ...etc...Everything is significant ... and they need to know... Trinidad needs to know about a son of the soil ... Your historic Pan on the Mount is so important that I cannot stop talking about it ...You make us proud man.
Best regards, my friend.
Salah 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 21:35:29 -0400
Subject: Re: The First "Pan In School" in the world (Historically)
From: calypsobandit@gmail.com
Hi, Salah,
I agree that you are much more qualified to take up the charge that I am or intend to be.  The name of my band was The Fabulous Calypso Bandits.---- the Steel Bandits was the year King Caribe had the band from 1956 and 1957---.
That band was dismantled after one year and then my band was called the Calypso Bandits.
Then the agent changed it to the Fabulous Calypso Bandits.
Much thanks--much love –
"bandit" 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 1:53 AM,
Salah Wilson <sal_wils@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi, Guys,
This is the update of the "Bandit" article .... 
Abbey School "The Castle in the Sky" making history
Regards
Salah 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos
To JEANNETTE & BILL MORGAN
Nov 22  
Dear Jeanette, 
Thank you for your interesting email. You've helped to solve a little mystery concerning the Llanos boys, but you've opened another one. If you have the time, would you mind explaining for me the following: 
1.         You have said that your THREE brothers attended school at MSB. You've also named TWO of them - Robert and Noel. Would you mind letting me know the name of the third brother? Also, is he alive and does he have an email address or a telephone contact number? 
2.         I maintain a small database of the past students of MSB, and over the years it has slowly grown, to the point where we have found some 1500+ Old Boys. For your information, i call attach hereto a link to the file, and you can see where we stand today. 
3.         Would you please let me know how Robert died, and in approx. what year this happened? 
4.         I had been in touch with Noel by email, but unfortunately, he had sent me a note a few years ago, asking me to remove his name from the list. Probably it was too much for him to care about - after all, he must be in his late 70's now. 
5.         On a personal level, are you / were you related to Maria "Cita" Llanos, who is now dead, God rest her soul, but who had been married in 1943 to my uncle Neville Boos? They had 5 children, Helen, Peter, Stephen, Heather and Neville. 
Thank you once again for getting in touch with me.  
Sincerely,
Nigel Boos 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-11-21, at 5:31 PM, JEANNETTE & BILL MORGAN wrote: 
My husband was looking for any article about my cousin Msgr. Robert Llanos and came across an article you were looking to name a Robert Llanos in a scout picture from the Abbey School at Mount, and I am sure that is my brother.
Three of my brothers attend Mount in the 1940's and my brother Robert Gordon Llanos would have been 14yrs. in 1947 and he was in the scouts along with his younger brother Noel Charles Llanos.
I am almost certain my three brothers were the only Llanos at Mount in the 1940's.
Robert has since passed away but Noel is still alive and lives in Calgary.
Hope this helps you identify the Robert Llanos in the picture. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------,
Date:   Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:05:33 -0500
Laz,
I got through to Noel Llanos at the number you gave me, but I must have awakened him.
Sorry, Noel. (Doesn't everyone get up at 5.00 a.m.?)
Noel hasn't heard from any of the Abbey School crew for ages, so my telephone call must have surprised him.
Anyway, his email address is nllanos@shaw.ca
Regards,
Nigel 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 27-Feb-05, at 5:28 PM, Laszlo kertesz wrote:
Dear Nigel,
Thank you, glad he is alive.
I presume that the other addresses and telf numbers are no good?
Good work.
Ladislao 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos <nigelboos@yahoo.ca> wrote:
Laz,
Got one more for you:
Tommy Jardim (Ph: 902) 445-1077
Boarder at MSB: 1940-1948
Scouts:  Was Troop leader of 2nd MSB in his day
Compadre of:  Arthur Knaggs, Bernard Gomes et al.
Age now:  73
Voice control:  Sounds healthy. Should see 100
Strength of purpose:  Fantastic.
Was looking up Mt. St. Benedict on the internet only yesterday.
Great to get him on board.
Welcome, Tommy.
Regards,
Nigel 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 30-Jan-05, at 5:17 PM, Laszlo kertesz wrote: 
Dear Nigel,
Thank you again for the contact.
Now I have three more, but these I do not know, except that I have been given their telephone nos.
Try if you like.
Soodeen, Tyrone Dr., BC Abboisford v2s 4w6 604 853 6252
Llanos, Noel 1948, Calgary, Alberta (403) 242 3879
Jardim, Thomas Tommy, Nova Scotia (902) 445 1077
Costello, Sean ca, Toronto (416) 722 5983
Please send me the results so that I may correct the list.
God bless and luck.
Ladislao 
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos wrote:
Wonderful contact, Las.
I've just spoken with Egan, and YUP! He’s the same old Egan from MSB.
He's been living in Canada since 1964 or 1966 and has his own real-estate company.
He's going to send me an email msg. and I've asked him to copy you as well.
Thanks for the tip, Las.
We'll get together soon.
Regards,
Nigel 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 19-Jan-05, at 10:18 AM, lazslo kertesz wrote:
Dear Nigel,
Please could you call him at (416) 439 5551.
I believe that he is the Egan that was with us during the last year:
God Bless
Ladislao 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
MSBAP19bMI6512, Mount Inside
13LK7478LKEGRP, Lunch in Caracas
13LK7424GMILKE, George Mickiewicz and Ladislao Kertesz
03MD0006REUNION2003, Michael Dornellas, Bro. Marius, Fr. Christopher





No comments:

Post a Comment