24 August 2013

Circular No 616








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 24 August 2013 No. 616
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
I have been travelling, so I am late in getting the Circular out.
Do not forget the emails with news to keep us going.
Also look at the older Circular at:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 august 2013
s48bigboxhead traffic report for Friday, December 30, 2011
from: Don Mitchell
Sorry, Ladislao, I don’t get statistics on the latest Blog. 
But, we have always had several visits a day. 
The total visits for the year to date on the 2013 Circulars is visible on the counter on the home page: 2718 visits.
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
I have found in life that it is a healthy process to reflect on different aspects in life as our memories dim with time. 
Applying this thought process to the Abbey School, the following comes to mind in no order of importance:
·         Difficult for me to believe that I graduated 51 years ago.....time does fly
·         Do have mostly positive memories of my 6 years there
·         Very thankful for the great job our leaders have accomplished in keeping us informed through the different communication mechanisms
·         Proud that most “boys” have succeeded in their personal lives
·         Sad that some of our friends have had tremendously difficult challenges and faced great personal tragedies
·         The Circle of Life is certainly accelerating to its end – a very few of our teachers are still alive and the number of old boys still with us continues to decrease 
·         We are running out of topics and memories to discuss relating to “the good ole days”
·         My perception is that those interested in our heritage, roots and bonds seems to be a minority based on “visible” evidence
·         We are currently represented in all continents of the world.......an astonishing accomplishment coming from a very small island in the Caribbean
·         Still try to be a good Christian and person based on the religious principles that I gained at the Mount
·         Happy to receive and read the different communications that we receive every week
I invite each person to share with us their personal reflections; love to hear from you.
May God bless you and yours,
George (Yury, Shish)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Subject: FW: UPDATED INFORMATION ON DAVE DECASTRO--"THE BANDIT"
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 10:20:56 +0000
Dear Sir Calypsobandit, 
They could hide it but they can't deny it, you are a special Trinidadian.
You promoted you country for decades out here, and introducing so many to our culture.
Bandit we love yuh, I hope your contribution will get some kind of recognition, Congratulation on such a superb life you have lived, you are blessed my friend, they can't take that away from yuh. 
A true Knight all the way. 
Best Regards
Glen.
THIS IS FOR ALL TO SEE. YES, HE’S FROM THE ABBEY SCHOOL, TRINIDAD.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 15:57:14 -0500
Subject: Re: UPDATED INFORMATION ON DAVE DECASTRO--"THE BANDIT"
Bandit De Castro, 
Congratulations on all that you have showcased about Trinidad and Tobago.
I remember a conversation one time with Byron Lee, he told me it’s so sad that the government of Trinidad and Tobago, has never done anything for this culture lover who lives and breathes daily sharing his love and talent for tourism abroad for the entire Caribbean.
I was told the same thing on speaking with Sello Gomez PANNIST, Glenn Suzano, Sparrow his friend, yet as he grows old and maintains the same sweet tunes of his caiso and soca love for the land of Iere, where the Humming bird must have sung flying alongside God on his walks there on this sunny isle, it’s with shame for my, our homeland, that I write a long overdue note to all those who care about our culture and those who brought it to astonishing heights around the world .
I dare any one to contradict the achievements of Bandit De Castro on behalf of Calypso in North America.
As too I humbly ask someone among us to request some form of acclamation from the President of Trinidad and Tobago, the Tourist Board in Miami and Toronto, Pan Trinbago, for a man who lived an entire life into his 70's dedicated to advance paving for our cultures in North America.
BUT TRINBAGONIANS ARE THAT WAY, THEY REFUSE TO SUPPORT THOSE OUTSIDE WHO STRIVE DAILY TO ENHANCE AWARENESS OF OUR BEAUTIFUL ISLES, OUR BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE, OUR BEAUTIFUL MUSIC, FROM A DISTANCE ON FAR AWAY SHORES. 
David De Castro, your time of recognition for all that you done for the Caribbean is due , and I hope we the people support a show of gratitude by contacting those who remain at home to enjoy the tourist dollars. Regards, grand Sir.
Truly, SIR, I [k] neil as Desmond Espinet, D' Caribbean pays you this long overdue manifestation and gratitude of our heritage, culture and strumming action on your guitar and cuatro, and the need in our lives for your and others who live daily in support of the Caiso ........
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 05/23/13, david decastro calypsobandit@live.com wrote:
To whom it may concern- as requested -- "Bandit"- update websites: 
http://www.tunecore.com/widgets/show/55097     Download cd for free at this website.
More info: my band - the fabulous calypso bandits - travelled the US and Canada for 12 yrs.
I was the first calypso king of Canada crowned at the Maple Leaf Gardens in 1969 in Toronto with my song "CARIBANA IS COMING".  As a song writer I wrote over a hundred songs which I sang from town to town.  Some were recorded by the Merrymen- Spice & Co- Byron Lee- Sagaboy- Sello & Teresa and on my cd.  Was M.C. for Sparrow- (calypso king of the world) Natasha (calypso queen of the world at that time) the Baron- Byron Lee- Lord Nelson- Calypso Rose (now calypso queen of the world) and others.
Ladies and gentlemen –I love my culture- I breath calypso air everyday- I have paid my dues.
"THE BANDIT" 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Update from Salah ('Meh Last Carnival')
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:13:35 +0000
Hello David,
This just a demo?  
As you have to do it live with a band. 
I will be glad to record with you live, give me notice for music I will fly.
I cannot put guitar on this. I don't want to cluster what is there.
This is good as is for the voice, as a demo, then the real thing, I would like to sit with you, hear your sing it, jam it with you and get to the bone of the song man.  
If we in a studio, I will put bass, guitar, and brass from a synth. on it for yuh its your Song- Meh Last Carnival, Bandit, if you doing it, let’s do it good. 
Ah feeling it, Glen.   
----------------------------------------------------------.
From: calypsobandit@live.com
Subject: FW: Update from Salah ('Meh Last Carnival')
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:45:02 -0400
Hi Glen,
Salah went and put a whole orchestra to the song --but I cannot use it --I must keep the voice --man just add in between the lines to fill it out –
THAT'S ALL. REPLY ASAP "BANDIT"  
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: calypsobandit@live.com
Subject: FW: Update from Salah ('Meh Last Carnival')
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 00:29:15 -0400
Hi Ryan,
This is what my steel band friend did to my song the last carnival.
I only wanted him to add to your background.
Now I have no singing with it and don’t know what to do.  Can you pull up some of his music and put it behind my voice??? The first one is the music -- the second one is the music sheet hope you still not mad --I am not.
Leaving Sunday let me know.
Dad
------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: sal_wils@hotmail.com,
Subject: Update from Salah ('Meh Last Carnival')
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 12:33:03 -0300
Good morning Bandit,
I had more or less completed the project "Meh Last Carnival" but wanted to do more.
So I just looked at it this morning and decided to run it off and then get a feedback from you.
I am attaching the Sound file (an MP3 version) and the music scores I have a basic piano (which carries the melody)
(2) Guitar which carries the chords
(3) Bass
(4) Alto Sax
(5) Tenor Sax
(6) Percussion
I heard the song in the key of D and worked from there (Saxophones will have to be transposed accordingly) because everything is in Concert pitch.
Bandit this is just the rough draft (I could do much more) ... but I just wanted to let you know that I did not forget you and like I said more could be done
Regards
Salah
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
MSBAP07MI6512, Mount Inside
13LK7155NSMREC, Norman Smith, Rafael Echeverria
13LK7142RDVLKE, Roger de Verteuil and Ladislao Kertesz
13AL2097ALU, Anthony Lucky





No comments:

Post a Comment