10 August 2013

Circular No 614







Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 10 August 2013 No. 614
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
I have Whatsapp +584166125695
More videos that I get, hope you enjoy it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2013-07-22, at 1:24 AM, Douglas Houk wrote:
Hi there, Nigel.
Great to hear from all 
I think I left the Mt in 1966 as I left Trinidad in Feb. 1967
Went to Texas joined the navy and got sent to cruise around Vietnam for a while
Got out in 1970 and moved around a bit
Worked in Texas Louisiana Oklahoma and got sent to Mexico in 77 then to Peru in 80 and went to Venezuela in 1982
 Of course I learned to speak Spanish while I was in those countries
I started an inspection company in Venezuela and was doing pretty well till the Chavez group screwed that country up pretty bad
Right now I am at the house in Houston but have to go back to sell all our stuff in Venezuela next week
I personally do not know how to put pictures in the computer but all my kids do, will get one to do it for me and I hope it doesn’t scare you too much    
                       All the Best  
Doug Houk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-07-21, at 11:11 AM, vcl28@aol.com wrote:
I remember Douglas Houk very well. Nice boy.
Hi Doug!
Tony
-----Original Message-----------------------------------------------------.
From: Nigel Boos <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca>
Sent: Fri, Jul 19, 2013 3:32 pm
Hi Doug,
Just a short note.
We've been trying for a number of years to contact you, and we'd sure like to hear from you.
Please advise if you're receiving this email.
Thanks,
Nigel Boos
MSB 1955-1960
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-07-19, at 12:29 PM, Glen Mckoy wrote:
Hello Nigel,  
I did speak with him a few months ago, I sent out an email, but like no one got the email, strange, got lost on the internet ha! ha! I am still trying to find it.
Anyhow, he was in Miami at his daughter’s place I believe. 
He asked if Fr. Augustine was still alive, he called a lot of names I did not know, he did say, he and Tony from Guyana was good friends. 
He has a business in Venezuela and would like to get together for the lime in Caracas.
He gave me this email address, houkdoug@yahoo.com, I never got any replies, I think he was quite busy at the time.  
That's all I have for now. 
Still pending, Glen.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Dear Nigel,   
I am so sorry to read this news of our Brother Gordon Farah. 
May he rest in peace and may God Bless his family. 
I went to school with Roger & Nigel Farah, I don't know the relationship, but on the mount we are all family anyhow.   
We are always searching for our brothers.  
It is so sad to find out that he has departed before we made contact.
Our Circle is getting smaller, however it is also getting stronger in past 10 years.
As the Eagles fly over "White Stones" Mt. Tabor, our brother Gordon bids us farewell as he passes over, the Abbey School Mt. St. Benedict to that Higher Realm.
Please remember Gordon Farah in our prayers.  
Thank you Joseph Habib for letting us know. 
Long Live The Mount. Long Live Our Club.
Long Live The Legend. Forever-One.
Yours Faithfully
Glen McKoy.  
Duncans Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: Re: Joseph Habib and Yunus Ali
From: nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 23:50:11 -0400
Thank you, Joseph.
I appreciate the information and I'll pass it on to the guys who would have known Gordon. He left MSB in 1958, so I'm copying this to the OB's who were at school at MSB between 1956-1960.
May he rest in peace.
If anyone receiving this will be attending Gordon's funeral, would you kindly pass to his widow, Michele,
The condolences of the Old Boys of Mt St. Benedict, on whose behalf I am writing, and also, on my own behalf and that of my wife, Jackie?  
I am asking this favour since I do not know Michelle's email address.
Thank you.
Nigel
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-07-21, at 12:52 PM, joseph habib wrote:
Well, I'm in.
For some not so good news.
An old Mount boy died this week gone and he will be laid to rest on Monday 22nd. at the St. Anns RC church, 10:00am.
His name, Gordon Farah.
His wife, Michelle, and her cell no. 731-4643.
I do not know what period he went to the mount.
I do not know how he died. 
Rest his soul.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Nigel Boos <nigelboos@yahoo.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:44 PM
Subject: Joseph Habib and Yunus Ali
Thanks, Glen, and thanks also to Yunus.
Actually, we've got a bonus with this email from Yunus - i.e. his email address as well as Joe's.
First class!
Now, Yunus and Joe - you must know that there's a fee for our fabulous service - it's 50 words a year! Preferably, I'd like to know where you're living, your phone numbers as well as a confirmation as to what year you left MSB.
And just because you are who you are, here's the latest current link to the MSB Old Boys' Database. Enjoy.
Nigel Boos
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-07-17, at 5:36 PM, Glen Mckoy wrote:
Hello Nigel,
Re: Joseph Habib, his email address:-drawingjoe@yahoo.com  
I got his name from Yunus Ali, just informing you of same. 
I believe he is already on the List? 
Cheers, later
glen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: yunusalial4@gmail.com
Hello sir glen,
Please continue sending me jokes.
I do appreciate them and i would like to share them with a fellow old knight.
You might know him Joseph Habib.
This is his address <drawingjoe@yahoo.com>talk to you later.
say hello & give my regards to your loved ones.
Regards yunus ali
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Thank you, Suzanne and Max.
I'll pass this on.
Nigel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-07-13, at 8:27 PM, Suzanne and Maxim Pazos wrote:
Thought you might want to know.
Hi All,
It was just announced at a press conference at the Archbishop's Residence that Msgr Robert Llanos was appointed by The Holy Father as the Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Port of Spain.
Congrats to him and to the Church, may The Holy Spirit be with him on this call to serve in an increased capacity.  
Let us all pray for him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From Don Mitchell
Hello Douglas,
Our Alzheimer-ridden memories are right on the ball.  Yes, Gordon and I used to visit our parents in Jamaica from about 1962 each Summer and Winter until they returned to Trinidad. Then, they went off again to Jamaica for a second tour of duty.  Then, they returned to Trinidad.  Some years later, they went back to Jamaica again on a third tour of duty, and my Dad died and was buried in Kingston in 1973.  By then, I was working for myself in St Kitts. If you are interested, you can read about his passing at: http://donmitchellcbeqc.blogspot.com/search?q=Manley
I went off to London in 1964 to do my A-Levels first, and then to study law. I returned to St Kitts in 1971 where I started a little practice. It was called in those days a “bad word” practice. Don’t ask me to describe what kind of case I had to do in those days to earn a living.
Then, in 1976 I was invited to Anguilla where I became the island Magistrate, a post I filled for four years. When I was eventually fired from the post, I went back into private practice, which I continued until my heart gave out in 1997, and I retired from private practice. I have been helping out our Court since then doing the odd job when needed.  That is what I am doing now. You can read all about it at: http://www.eccourts.org/category/judgments/court-of-appeal-judgments/
My mother’s brother and uncle Axel Owen died in Venezuela a few years ago. He graduated from a Canadian university in the 1940s in petroleum engineering. He spent all his years after about 1955 in Venezuela in the oil exploration business. I speak from time to time with his children, my cousins, in Pennsylvania and all sorts of odd places like that.
From time to time I have been back to Mount. My stories about one of those visits can be read at:
I hope you have as much fun reading them and viewing the photos as I had uploading them.
Keep well,
Don
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:08 PM
Yes Don
If I can trust my Alzheimer-ridden brain I think u were Box head and u and yr brother moved to Jamaica I guess it was 1964.
I left in 65 without really finishing I came to Houston in 67
And have been here off and on ever since
I actually have a little oilfield service Co in Venezuela and that keeps me eating 
I kinda remember that u were going to study in England
How did that work out?
Hope u,ve done great   Was really a great surprise to hear from u           
All the Best      doug   
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Don Mitchell idmitch@anguillanet.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:16 PM
Hello Douglas,
One of the problems of advancing age is that you can no longer trust your memory. 
Yet, as if it were yesterday I remember you as a small boy in the period when I was at Mount. 
That period stretched from 1955 to 1964 due to my having to redo several classes. 
I no longer recall why, but honesty requires that I say it was probably due to retarded development. 
So, you must have been at Mount sometime during that period.
Please bring my misery to an end by confirming this is true.
Sincerely,
Don
------------------------------------------------------------------------. 
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
MSBAP05MOUNTINSIDE6512, front cover issue No.9
590315SPORTSP02, Annual Sports event 1959
485808LK13FACEBOOK, Guy that got together in Trinidad
59CN0016POLEVAULT, A photo from the era.


No comments:

Post a Comment