3 August 2013

Circular No 613







Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 3 August 2013 No. 613
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
A little history, and Wallerfield.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Nigel Boos [mailto:nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:21 AM
Subject: Wallerfield... Yanks in Trinidad
Thought you might like a little bit of this history of the American Bases in Trinidad....Enjoy
Interesting video about the US bases in Trinidad..... not sure if you can view.
Nigel
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Fort Reid in Trinidad was the largest US base in the world outside of the Continental USA.
Trinidad's contribution to the war efforts in WWI and WWII was stupendous.
We provided 52% of the crude oil used by the British Navy in WWI and 38% in WWII.
Our refinery was the biggest in the British Empire and the third largest in the world.
In fact, our contribution to the British Empire in the past has also to be reckoned as significant, as the story below will show:
Were it not for that little island's help, we could well be speaking either French or German today.
And where do we stand today, in 2012? Well, see these reports concerning Liquified Natural Gas (LNG).
That's it for now, David.
Class is out.
Nigel
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: calypsobandit@live.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:18:51 -0400
Hi George,
Just got back from my first carnival cruise to the islands and then spent 4 days in Puerto Rico.
Thanks very much for your kind words.
Glad you can pass on the info, "bandit" 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: amickiew@att.net
Subject: YOUR BOOK - THE EARLY YEARS AT MSB
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:18:23 -0500
Hi Bandit,
I enjoyed very much reading your book with your many short stories.  I found it to be well written and very easy to read.  Congratulations!!!!!
Your tales reminded me of many similar experiences that I had after you left; between 1956 and 1962.  Many of the priests and brothers were the same you had with some differences as one would expect with changing times.  The pictures are a very nice addition as they allowed me to “see” what was becoming a “dim” memory in my mind. 
It is great to see how you have successfully pursued your passion for music from your very early years to today.  
I recommend your book to all old boys and anyone else who might be interested in the adventures of a young boy who documented his life at that infamous “jail known as the Mount”.
May God bless you and yours,
George
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: jon@goldings.net
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 21:30:22 +0100
Hello Everyone,
Nothing surprises me these days especially when people are diversely scattered and separated in gaps of years as well as miles and not in physical daily contact.
I sent in my contribution which apparently got there after the round closed and money had already been spent on a present or whatever.
I suggested that it be put to some other good cause and assumed it had.
Either way, it was in the spirit of my gift to Kitty so whoever has the money and has not passed it on now has the bad spirit with him (IF that is so – but innocent until proven guilty!!). Voila!!
Back to more productive discussions, I see our Circle of survival only being led onward by one person – Glen!
He’s younger than us older fogies (so will be there for the duration of this Club when we are gone), has a great sense of sharing and an even better sense of humour! (J)
He never enters into controversy among this virtual circle and tries always to make it a virtuous circle whenever differences of opinion may be expressed by those who tune in.
The rest of us are too opinionated and intolerant! 
The audit trail shows that.
Ladislao has been our anchor over many years, keeps maturely calm always.
He avoids getting into any dialogue except to develop our publishing base further which he has admirably managed over many years with no reward and never asked for any appreciation.
This is a great quality of silent benevolence which has sustained a spirit of belonging and respect of our past roots and spread quietly like osmosis among the alumni.
Chapeau! Mon ami!  Or better, sombrero! Mi amigo!
Over and out.
Saludos
Jon
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
The detailed accounting reports by Joe appears in Circular 551
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: idmitch@anguillanet.com
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 10:42:31 -0400
Hi, Nigel,
Not to worry about Joe. 
When we had the last reunion in Trinidad about a year ago, Joe was the main one to put his hand in his pocket and personally pay the excess charges at all the functions. 
I contributed a bit, as did some of the others, but it was mainly Joe who met the extra costs.
And, then, he sent the most fantastic, detailed accounting of every penny that was received and spent by his committee, without mentioning his name as the donor. 
So, I know there is no way he would permit anyone to touch a dedicated fund.
That said, if there was money left over that was meant for Kitty, I would hope it would be spent on a gift of some kind for the present residents of the Abbey School buildings, rather than some religious obeah.  We had enough of that as children :-)
Keep well.
Don
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
RE: FW: substitution of James Samaroo for Chris Knowles as Secretary of Abbey School Alumni Association.
Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:53 PM
From: "dgurley@jdsellier.com" <dgurley@jdsellier.com>
Dear Ladislao; 
Thanks for your e-mail. I have accordingly proceeded to file the required Notice of Change of Secretary at the Companies Registry recording the retirement of Chris and the appointment of James in his place.
I note your comment about getting the Association activated and hope next week to speak to Joe, James and Chris for suggestions on the way forward.
In so far as I am aware the Association has not registered with the Board of Inland Revenue and is not likely to be given “charitable status” for some time. I shall however look into the matter and shall report further in due course.
Dennis Gurley
-----------------------------------------------------------
FROM: Chris Knowles  
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:07 AM
Dear Ladislao,
It really had nothing to do with income, more to do with input!
I feel that now the Association needs more dynamism, which would be best provided by someone else.
Otherwise, I am well.
Your remark 'I might not last till the anniversary' makes me concerned about you.
I'll keep you updated as things develop.
God Bless,
Chris.
-------------------------------------------------------------
From: Art & Val Knaggs (av_knaggs@hotmail.com)
Sent: Thu 7/02/09 9:10 PM
To: bermentmcdonald@yahoo.com
So glad to see your e-mail, in Lad's Bulletin, and it recalled fond memories of your visit to Arima with some Scouts to camp on our land there.
Many moons ago, but always fabulous memories.
Val & I are fine and keeping relatively in good health; always with the few challenges as life shuffles along.
I was also a Scout Leader when we came, and boy did miss my Trini "Bamboo for gadgets”.
Other than that, it was same old, same old, except they all had new, up to date equipment and kits.
How are things with you.
Drop me a line sometime.
As ever, Art.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Free GPS
I have a little GPS
I've had it all my life
It’s better than the normal ones
My GPS is my wife
It gives me full instructions
Especially on how to drive
"It's thirty miles an hour", it says
"You're doing thirty five".
It tells me when to stop and start
And when to use the brakes
And tells me that it's never ever
Safe to overtake
It tells me when a light is red
And when it goes to green
It seems to know instinctively
Just when to intervene
It lists the vehicles just in front
And all those to the rear
And taking this into account
It specifies my gear.
I'm sure no other driver
Has so helpful a device
For when we leave and lock the car
It still gives its advice
It fills me up with counseling
Each journey's pretty fraught
So why don't I exchange it
And get a quieter sort?
Ah well, you see, it cleans the house,
Makes sure I'm properly fed,
It washes all my shirts and things
And - keeps me warm in bed!
Despite all these advantages
And my tendency to scoff,
I do wish that once in a while
I could turn the damned thing off.
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
MSBAP04MOUNTINSIDE6512, front cover issue No.9
59031SPORTSP01, Sports programme 15 of March 1959
64UN0100GRP,
538071LK13FB, Group photo of reunion




No comments:

Post a Comment