17 August 2013

Circular No 615







Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 17 August 2013 No. 615
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
-----------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Don on this subject, I must say I don't think I have ever seen anything that drew my attention as improper, and you guys have done an excellent job so far with this.  We have discussed this before, however not all are aware of same, we have addressed this concern before, without donations this is the best we can offer. Hopefully, brothers will understand, we try to do our best.  So far it seems to be going well.  
Cheers, glen. 
-----------------------------------------------------------
From: idmitch@anguillanet.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:18:44 -0400
Hi, Glen,
I hope I did not sound critical of Angel. I was just trying to explain to him how his name got “all over the internet”. He did not seem too aware of the normal email protocols.
Of course you are right about the need to be diplomatic and careful about what goes in the Circular.
That is what we have Ladislao for! We know we can depend on him to be discrete with what he circulates
Imagine if it was me doing the selecting!!  Then, all hell would break loose!
But, to come back to your suggestion about seeking permission in advance. It seems to me that it might be a bit difficult to find someone who would be willing to put the time and energy into addressing each person who sends to our a circular email, and to ask if they mind others reading their email which they have already circulated. 
I want to suggest that we should all do like I do. Never press “send” on an email unless you could not care less who reads it, or mind what they might think of the subject matter. If anyone in our group is sensitive that way, better not press “send” unless there is “Private and Confidential” notice in the subject line. (By the way, I have sent out emails with that message in the subject line, and they have never been circulated further. When we send a private and confidential email, no one would circulate it, I am sure.) Otherwise, I expect that any one of my emails copied to all, or even several, of you is fair game for the Circular.
Keep well.
Don
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Glen Mckoy
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 12:08 PM
Brothers From All Boarders:  Dear Sirs:
Dear Don, These Circulars are Treasured Collections of Our Alumni.  
We are all Proud of This Book,  "The King Of Hearts", The Greatest Gift, we can ever receive, from The Grand Master, Our Great Knight from the Sky. Sir. Ladislao Kertesz.
What we have on the internet is already there, forever and ever as you said.
However, this should not stop a brother from openly expressing himself in the Circular, but before it goes to the Blog, it should be edited, delete what you have to, keep it public friendly, as you know, some times the wrong things are said, and some personal stories, should be kept out, or request permission to re-publish same from the author ? 
If it goes on the blog, then its public free for all.
If you want to read more, Then Buy The Book, just my two cents. 
A brother did voice his concern, as every brother should when need be.  
I am very pleased to see the many replies, and must thank you all, with regards to this matter. 
See you later @ the Club. 
Cheers Glen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 09:47:30 -0500
From: frharold12@gmail.com
Thanks, Don, 
A lot clearer now.
God bless,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Don Mitchell <idmitch@anguillanet.com> wrote:
Hello, Fr Harold,
You are quite right that our email is on the internet and is by definition public.  However, only hackers and the US and similar governments can copy it at will.  We all just have to live with the fact that once something has been emailed, no matter if it is deleted, it is still preserved somewhere, and for ever and ever, and can be recovered by those with the interest and the know-how.
However, the reason why our emails keep turning up in a Google search (or a DuckDuckGo search, my preference since it has not yet agreed to provide the NSA with unrestricted access to my searches), is that Ladislao aggregates our emails into a Circular, which, when it is sent to me, I re-publish once a week in the Blog at:
So, it is not the emails per se that come up when we do a Google search on the internet.  It is the Circular (which consists of our emails) that gets found when we do a search of the internet.
Hope that helps.
Don
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 10:09 AM
Hi, Angel,
I am thinking that as long as the Circular is emailed as a document to all on the list, it's on the internet, when we reply to an article, our reply also goes on the internet; however if we were to reply to one individual, not as a reply through the Abbey Circular, that reply would probably remain private.
Hope this helps brothers,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM,
Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com> wrote:
Dear Angel,
You are absolutely correct. I do know my name is all over the internet, if you bring up the Mount. I think the Circular is a public domain? I am not sure. However I do understand your concern, as we have many members who I try my utmost to keep private.   Now I think this only applies to the Circular, and does not apply to the Club, where all is very private, and can only be disclosed by a Knight, and that will never happen. We have many members that are very private due to their occupations in Public offices, and businesses etc., and do not wish to have their personal lives publicized. I will address this concern to Don, Ladislao & Nigel. I will also cc. Shaun & Gabriel, as they are more involved in computers than I am, and may be able to explain same. We will see what can be done to prevent this from continuing. However many have found us on the internet, due to the same Circulars.
I must thank you for bringing up this important observation. Have a good day,
Best Regards
Glen McKoy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: da.angel@sympatico.ca
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 19:32:28 -0400
Hi Glen,
A strange thing just happened. I looked up my name on the internet Googly and a bunch of e-mail came up with the 2009 Abby circular 392.
How is it possible that personal e-mails between us are getting posted on the net??
You can check for yourself. Just put in Angel Da Silva and you will see what I am speaking about.
Please pass this on to Ladislao he may be quite surprise too.
Angel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Hello, Glen,
I am sure I remember Douglas. A quiet boy :-)
I am sure too that he is not a boy any longer, but I do prefer to remember each of us as the school boys we once were. I remember Nigel as the “big boy” that he is in the Fr Benedict photos in the Circular. I don’t recognise the grey-haired old codger of current vintage who pops up occasionally :-)
Even when I look at myself in the mirror in the morning while shaving, I still see that familiar, full head of brown-coloured hair that I am told has in fact been missing for a couple of decades now.
Keep well.
Don  [MSB: 1955-1964]
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Glen Mckoy
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 10:02 AM
Hello Shaun, Don & Andres,
Thank you for the replies to Angel. Shaun I guess that is the facts as confirmed by Don.
Don sorry to hear about the brain damage, Welcome to the Club, Mi Amigo. Andre, so good to hear about those little reunions in Caracas. Cheers Mis Amigos.
Andres (Freddy) I spoke to Douglas Houk a few weeks ago, he was staying with his sister in Miami.
He said he was going back to Venezuela soon.  Do you know of him, as Ladislao told me to call him, which I did and we had a wonderful conversation, he was so happy to get the call.  However I never heard anything about him since.  Do you know of him?
He knows Tony from Guyana, also the older Oscar Cantore.
Can you check on same, if possible?
Thank You.  Have a great day gentlemen.
Best regards, Glen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: idmitch@anguillanet.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 09:40:34 -0400
Hello, Andres,
It sounds like it was fun.
I remember Castro well.  He was quite a boxer in his time.
I remember him ruthlessly knocking me out once in the boxing ring when he encouraged me to practice spar with him. 
I suspect that I have been brain-damaged ever since :-)
But please give him my kindest regards when next you see him.
Keep well.
Don
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 8:56 AM
Dear friends,
Hope you can solve the problem.
Yesterday noon we had an OBs meeting in Caracas:  Laszlo, Henriquez, Castro, Grossman, Allum and myself.
Had paella and beers!!!
Cheers!!
Andres (Freddy) Freites
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Hello Angel,
For the past dozen years Ladislao has been circulating to us our emails that are copied to him in what he calls “Abbey School, Mt St Benedict Circulars.”  It is his effort to bring us into contact with each other, in many cases for the first time in 40 or 50 years. About ten years ago he consented to my posting his Circulars on a Blog to make it easy for Old Boys of our school to find them and read them. I think that what you are referring to as “a bunch of emails” are in fact one of his Circulars.
I am so sorry if you are only now, after all these years, finding out about the Circulars. I hope that it will mean that friends who have lost contact with you will find it easy to locate you now. I hope too that you will visit the Blog at least once a week to check for new ones. Or, you can enter your email address in the box provided and each time I post a new Circular, it will go directly to your email.
And, I hope that no spam will come to you from it. I have to say that I am blessed not to be receiving any, since I had my computer technician set my spam blocker on my email account to the appropriate setting many years ago.
Best wishes,
Don
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Nigel,  
I did speak with him a few months ago, I sent out an email, but like no one got the email, strange, got lost on the internet ha! ha! I am still trying to find it.
Anyhow, he was in Miami at his daughter place I believe.  He asked if Fr. Augustine was still alive, he called a lot of names I did not know, he did say, he and Tony from Guyana was good friends. He has a business in Venezuela. And would like to get together for the lime in Caracas. He gave me this email address, houkdoug@yahoo.com, I never got any replies, I think he was quite busy at the time. That's all I have for now. Still pending,
Glen. 
Re. Doug Houk, Dion, I believe he works for Colombian Inspection Services Ltda., out of Bogota, D.C., Colombia.  Check him out at www.colombianinspection.com, and if you find him, please ask him to drop me or Ladislao a line.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
If the Circulars are on a website that does not require a private login, then they are public.
To make these private, then the website has to be upgraded to have passwords, usernames and facilities to reset such names and PWs when we forget (and we will), which will require a different level of admin, servers and the like.
It will also add to the cost of maintaining the site.
So... in summary...
FREE = Public
Shaun Gianetti
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
MSBAP06MOUNTINSIDE6512, front cover issue No.9
59031SPORTSP03, Sports programme 15 of March 1959
59CM0014HIGHJUMP, Dr. Ronald Charles
58IF0008EFAGRP, Elias Farcheg and friends UNKNOWNS


No comments:

Post a Comment