5 October 2013

Circular No 622









Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 5 October 2013 No. 622
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
--------------------------------------------------------
RE: David d'Boehmler
From: Glen Mckoy  
Hello, Dave.
Thank you for the reply.  
I am smiling to read, you are trying to remember me. ha! ha!
Sorry for confusing you. 
I went to Mount when you were leaving Trinidad. 
I am 57 yrs old, so no way would you find me ha! ha!
What a few of us do is hunt down Mount boys, so every time we find one, it’s a big deal for us, sometimes we have no clues, that is why it was so exciting to reconnect with you my brother.  
I am glad to read you have a well balanced life, and quite content, this is wonderful to read my friend.  
I see you are an artist, in our books that means you speak with your soul, you have been blessed my friend. 
I also played music all my life, in a semi professional way, however I have worked for banks for the past 35 yrs. It pays the bills. 
I have 3 grown kids, I left Trinidad in 1976 and have lived here since.  
I now live in Duncan's Cove, one of the well known artist havens in the 60's & 70's, now it’s quite, overlooking the Atlantic ocean, 35 min. from downtown Halifax. 
If you ever come to this neck of the woods, please feel free to stay with me, you will paint my friend. 
Thank you for sharing with us your art site, it would be a pleasure to share same with our brothers.
As you wrote just type your name in facebook to view your paintings, will check same out, Mi Amigos. 
Keep up the good work. 
I do send out emails of general interest to many brothers, we also debate different issues as friends, if you don't mind, I would like to include you in that Circle, we call the Club.
Cheers Long Live Our Mount Connections.  Cheers Mis Amigos. 
Adios Glen McKoy. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 16:20:14 +1000
From: davedboehmler@gmail.com
Thank you for your kind remarks Glen...
To be honest I am struggling to put a face to the name...
But I am sure the 50 years gone by have something to do with it.....
I will try to see if I can recognize you on the MSB site..
Yes strangely enough those five years at Mount have had a huge impact on our lives, far more than you would expect....
Even more fascinating is what some have done with their lives since.
I live in Australia migrated in 68 and basically no great achievements in a secular way...
I have done whatever it took sometimes that included some lowly jobs, by Trinidad standards anyway,
But I am happy to say, at 67, still married, still sheltered, still happy, still breathing, Hope you are too.  
What more can a man ask.
One of the small things I have done with the years is to paint Trinidad as we knew it. (a bit of nostalgia)...
Any one is welcome to look.... all on face book..Just type in my name...
All the best to you, and thanks again for the kind thoughts.
Dave de Boehmler.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com> wrote:
Thank you Nigel, Garnet & Joanne,  
It’s really good to see we have made contact, with yet another brother alive and kicking, cheers to David d'Boehmler,  
Please do drop us a line, it’s so good to hear same, thanks to Garnet for mentioning these names. 
Wonderful to make contact, and to let David know that many of his classmates are still here, he may or may not remember, but don't worry we remembered you brother.
Wishing you all the best, Cheers Mi Amigos. Long live The Mount.   
Best regards - Glen McKoy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: David d'Boehmler
From: nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 18:58:00 -0400
Hi David,
Thank you for responding to my email to Joanne. 
I was wondering about you, and how you're getting on in Australia.
Are you still painting, for example?
But the real reason for trying to re-connect is that Garnet Diaz, who you might remember from MSB, and who we have only recently found living here in Ontario, was asking about you.
By copy of this email to him, I'm passing on your email address and I'm sure he'll be in touch with you.
Another chap, Glen McKoy, from Nova Scotia, was also trying to locate you, so I'll simply let him know as well, that you've been found.
Our efforts with the MSB database continues, as little by little, the Old Boys drop me a line and add to the general info box.
If you'd like me to add something about you, maybe you can email to to me as well.
Here's the latest database info:
I'm busy helping my two daughters with their businesses in Toronto, and I've just started an involvement with a Cambridge-based company which sells microbiologically-based organic products for cleaning stuff.
So, keep well, Dave, and keep in touch.
Nigel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-08-26, at 7:50 PM, David de Boehmler wrote:
Hi Nigel
My sister Joanne sent me your message here is my email: davedboehmler@gmail.com  Notice, no 'de' just 'd'.
Hope you are in good health.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 21:48:49 +0000
Hello Pud, Nigel, Attila & Garnet, 
Thank you Nigel for an excellent email, welcoming Garnet. 
Thank you Pud for your reply, this should confirm to Attila, he was not the first space man on the mount, ha! ha!.  
Cheers Mis Amigos - Have a good weekend, 
Adios Glen.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: drgal@laquisholdings.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 07:47:21 -0700
"Spaceman" Atela is a different guy who graduated in 1958.
Manuel Prada is in touch with him in Venezuela.
I remember him well because of his unique facial feature
So, Mr. Garnet Diaz is correct in his recollections.
He also remembers my brother, Abraham (bram) who passed away in 2008 and myself, George (pud) but he mixed up the names--no big thing
It is nice to be remembered and to be reminded of people that I have not thought of in many, many years such as stringbeans, papalou, spaceman, etc.
What a fantastic experience the years in MSB was.
Regards,
PUD (George).
-------- Original Message --------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Welcome Garnet
From: Nigel Boos <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca>
Date: Fri, August 23, 2013 8:57 am
Hello Garnet,
I've only just received an email from my dear friend, Glen McKoy, who says he had telephoned you today after receiving a note from Ladislao Kertesz (Venezuela) asking him to call you. What a roundabout story!!
Glen - thank you for following up on Laz's request, and for including me in your response. Great job!
So, you've been found, and I'm not sure exactly what Glen had to say to you, but on behalf of the Old Boys of the Abbey School, let me welcome you to our little Association. Ladislao was the initiator of this project about 12-13 years ago, and he has been the driving force behind all our efforts to bring the OB's together in various parts of the world.
As a result of his good work, we have held a number of mini-reunions in different places.
Here in Ontario we have also held quite a few and it has been a pleasure to bring together as many as we could find, for a supper with our wives and children, for a roti evening, and so on. 
I should point out that no-one in Ontario is in charge of the Association's activities in this area.
Anyone is free to invite us to whatever little function he'd like to host, and, so far as is possible, everyone pays his own bills, so it's not burdensome.
We ask everyone who is welcomed into the group to give us a little idea of what they're doing today, where they live, their hobbies, or whatever they'd like to say about themselves.
It's also nice to see a recent photograph.
One paragraph would suffice, and many have responded.
Ladislao also sends out, irregularly today, a Circular covering emails which he has received from all and sundry, and he's now sent out over 600.
These can be seen today on Don Mitchell's blog - details below.
Many have contributed in various ways, and we should be proud of what we, as a small group, have accomplished. 
Here is the current database of the MSB OB's listing whatever information we have to date. I hope you enjoy reading it.
There are a number of tabs at the base of the file, and since you attended MSB between 1955-57, you would probably find many of the names of the boys of your time under 2 tabs - (1950-1955) and (1956-1960).
In case you'd like to know which OB's live in Ontario, click on the tab marked "Selected by Countries".
Now, as to Glen's revelation that you are related to Don Maria Jose Chacon, I personally find this very interesting, as genealogy is my hobby.
I'd appreciate very much if you could expand on this, perhaps in a private note to myself.
I look forward to reading what you have to say.
So, after all of this mumbo-jumbo, once again, welcome to our group.
I look forward to meeting you one day.
I look forward to hearing from you.
With very best wishes.
Nigel Boos
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-08-22, at 7:32 PM, Attila GYURIS wrote:
Hey Glen... I feel honored that he "remembers" me,.... however I don´t see how.
I went to the Mount from 1964 to 1969....  
You say he was there from 1955 to 1957.  
Our paths didn't cross, as far as I can tell...  And frankly I do not remember him either.
But, welcome to the club, Garnet.
Attila Gyuris
Mount 1964-1969
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:56 PM
Subject: FW: Please call this guy oldboy
Hello, Mi Hermano Ladislao,          (Re: Sir. Garnet Diaz).
Always good to hear from you. 
Hope all is well Chief Editor and life is good.
I called our brother Garnet Diaz, went to the Mount in 1955-57 then to St.Mary's.
he is from Trinidad, but also lived in Aruba, 
He now lives in Freelton, near Hamilton Ontario.
He is the great, great, great grandson, of Chacon the last Spanish Governor General, of Trinidad & Tobago, which automatically makes him a Knight, ha! ha!.
Anyhow, this guy has a memory like an elephant, we spoke for at least 2 hours.   
Nigel you must make contact, he knew Peter Boos, and String Bean De Silva, Froggy, Attila the Space Man, Bubbles Agostini, Lucky Samaroo, Gregory Ames, Papa Lou- Jean Claude Laune, Moussy Farah, Pud Laquis, and his brother George, Leslie King from Guyana, Wilson- Chinese guy, Laz, and many more, what a memory this guy have. 
He told me of this old guy who use to come up on the mount and play the piano, some nice old stories, he never saw the swimming pool, for those of you who do know Garnet, please do join me in saying, 
Welcome To The Club Mi Amigo.
Sir Garnet Diaz - garnetdiaz@gmail.com    Tel: 905-659-4088.
Thank you Sir Anthony/ Knight Judge, for your call today, always a pleasure to hear from yuh, and a good laugh too, ha! ha! nice talking with you, have a good flight to Hamburg
Cheers Mis Amigos- Adios-. Glen. 
(the pool was built in 1956, editor)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:51:01 -0700
From: kertesz11@yahoo.com
Dear Santa helper
Please call Garnet Diaz, phone # 1-905-659-4088
Send me data after you talk with him, city etc.
God bless
Ladislao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
MSBAP13MI6512, Mount Inside
13GD1897CENTENARY, Garnet Diaz 1897 family ancestry
13GD1897CENTENARYA, Garnet Diaz 1897 family ancestry
13GD1897CENTENARYB, Garnet Diaz 1897 family ancestry
13GD1897CENTENARYC, Garnet Diaz 1897 family ancestry





No comments:

Post a Comment