21 September 2013

Circular No 620








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 21 September 2013 No. 620
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Help needed for David Basanta.
Some old photos of Trinidad.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
One of our teachers is very ill
From Nigel Boos
Gentlemen,
This is a call for urgent help. David Basanta, a former MSB OB, and I also, now understand, a former teacher at Abbey School, is very ill. He needs blood, and I'm joining young Joe Habib to ask those who can, in TnT to go to the nearest blood centre in the island and offer a pint of your precious red stuff. Joe says that the doctors need white blood cells, which, presumably, they can extract from the blood.
This is a most worthy cause, and on behalf of David, we both thank you in advance for your generosity. Please note: When giving your blood, please specify that it is being donated on behalf of DAVID BASANTA.
With very best wishes to all.
Nigel Boos
P.S. Joe, please ask David to let me know the years he was at the Mount. Also, does he have an email address?
Thanks.
NB
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-08-19, at 9:41 PM, joseph habib wrote:
Hi Nigel,
Joe Habib here.
I'm sending out a SOS to all MSBOD'S.
We have a teacher by the name of David Bassanta who taught Spanish in the 70's and 80's.
His MSBOB''s Database number 118.
He very ill and is need of blood.
He is still living up on the Mount, where he was since in the 70's.
He was at the Sangre Grande Hospital up until today.
He was then discharge only to return in 2 weeks, with hope of having blood donated and waiting for him.
Blood type it does not matters.
All they (the Doctors) want is the white blood cells.
Can you send this cry out?
On a happier note, Father Cutbert's birthday was yesterday - 18th August.
He's now 89years young.
Thanks, Joe Habib
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
FW: Praying for your prompt recovery
From Glen Mckoy  
Muchas Gracias, Mi Hermano Attila,      (The Eagle Knight).
Your words are warm, you take me right back to those classes. 
I almost feel like I am young and on the Mount again.
Thank God we still have our memory. 
As I can still remember those days like yesterday, our time capsule. 
So wonderful to see so much love, in such a small Club.  
Yes. it also hurts to be so close, I love you guys,
Cheers, Mis Amigos- 
Adios, Glen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 21:20:41 -0700
From: gyuris@yahoo.com
Dear Mr. Basanta:
I have been notified of your illness and your need for blood donations via our old boys’ network.
I wish I could donate blood but I am far away and unfortunately it is not possible.
But the least I can do is pray for you and keep you in my thoughts and prayers for your prompt and complete recovery.
Keep your spirits up!
My name is Attila Gyuris, one of the "Venezuelan" old School Abbey boys. 
I am one your old students at the Mount, in 1964-1969, from Prep "A" to the Form V GCE's,  
(I did two years, Form II and Form III, in one year, that is why the time and forms don't match). 
I remember you very well, as I had you as my Spanish teacher for 4 of those years, from Form I to Form V.
I always enjoyed your classes and looked forward to them.
You were always an excellent and dedicated teacher.
After graduating from the Mount, I went on to get a degree in Chemical Engineering , and an MBA in the University of California, but ended up doing my career in aviation as a commercial airline pilot in the US, and in the US military as an officer in the US Army Reserves.
I am currently retired from 25 year as a senior special agent/pilot for the US Federal government, and as an O-6 after 30 years in the military. 
After I retired in 2011, my family and I moved, to Quito, Ecuador, where we now live, and I continue with a "post retirement " job here as a commercial helicopter pilot. 
I have a wonderful wife and one great son, age 13.
I just wanted to say hello and that we will pray for you.
May God bless you, Mr Basanta.
Attila Gyuris
gyuris@yahoo.com
1-951-780-4197
-----------------------------------------------------------.
From: Glen Mckoy mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:27 PM
Dear Sirs,
Re: El Professor -  The Knight Of Spanish - Sir David Basanta. 
Nigel, thank you for passing this email to me, I will pass it on to all my contacts. 
Pud, God Bless you for your efforts on this matter and for taking the time to give us this information, a perfect example of our Brotherly Love to each other.  
Mr. Basanta was always a private person, I am glad that he is sharing his life with us. 
God Bless the best Spanish teacher we ever had. 
We love you David, and we pray for your conditions to stabilize, allowing you to have a more satisfying life. 
To all my brothers, if you can assist in this urgent request, please find it in your hearts, to help if possible.  
El Professor, our Brother, Teacher & Friend David. 
We only want a Big Smile from you Sir. ha! ha!
Long Live The Mount, Long Live Our Realm, Long Live The Club.  
All For One & One For ALL. 
The Abbey School, Mt.St.Benedict, Tunapuna, Trinidad & Tobago.
Best Regards, Glen McKoy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 22:01:57 -0400
Thank you, Pud.
This is so nice of you, to have a phone chat with David about his condition.
I have noted his request for blood donations, and his need to have frequent transfusions of O Positive blood.
At the same time, I believe I am correct in stating that the Blood Bank will accept all blood donations, regardless of type, and that, once a donation is made in the name of David Basanta, he will be given a corresponding transfusion of O-Positive, while the different-type blood is stored for the use of others. (At least, I believe that this is how it used to operate.)
By copy of this email, I am bringing to the attention of all those Old Boys of MSB who are resident in Trinidad and Tobago, that one of our old teachers, Mr. David Basanta, is in hospital at Sangre Grande and requires frequent blood transfusions.
Dr. George "Pud" Laquis (MSB '59) spells out very clearly that anyone donating blood for the intention of David should advise him of this by scanning the billet which is given to all donors, and emailing it to him directly at: davidbasanta42@gmail.com
I hope that many of our Old Boys will pay attention and come to David's assistance in this, his time of suffering, by a wonderful act of love in making a blood donation for his benefit.
I leave the decision entirely in each person's hands.
God bless us all.
Nigel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-09-10, at 8:22 PM, <drgal@laquisholdings.com> <drgal@laquisholdings.com> wrote:
Nigel,
I had a long and very pleasant phone conversation with David today.
I told him that many of his former class mates and past pupils of MSB were enquiring after his health.
He expressed his gratitude and hoped that you would pass it on.
He also had no problem with sharing his health status with those who expressed concern.
He is not doing as well as expected as the hemolytic process continues necessitating frequent blood transfusions.
Dr. Capildeo is doing some more investigations to determine if there is another underlying process that is hindering his progress.
His only request is that those who are O Positive and wish to donate blood may do so at the Sangre Grande Hospital specifying that it was for David Basanta, receiving a billet so specifying and getting same to him to enable him to access the donated blood.
The billet can be scanned and emailed to him at davidbasanta42@gmail.com.
Those who wish to contact him may do so via email.
Please circulate as you see fit.
I will keep you posted.
pud
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Don Mitchell <idmitch@anguillanet.com>
Date: 20 September 2013 09:58
Subject: I'm back
Hi, Ladislao,
Just a note to say I am back in Anguilla after my cruise through the Arctic Circle. 
I would not recommend it to another West Indian.  Not even in Summer.
Look forward to the resumption of Circulars when you can spare the time.
Don
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
MSBAP11MI6512, Mount Inside
09LK2927DBA, David Basanta
09LK2928DBAHOME, a look of David Basanta´s home
13LK7148NSMGRP, At Norman Smith´s Home in Miami





No comments:

Post a Comment