7 September 2013

Circular No 618






Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 7 September 2013 No. 618
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Anybody who can collaborate with the photos in good 500kb quality please send them to me for inclusion in a future edition.
-----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
20/02/2011
The Abbey School Journey to BG in the “Mabari”, 1958
By David Bratt
The picture sits in front of me now.  There we are.  A group of 15 young men, some boys really, two monks and our coach in a garden in the house in Kitty Village, Georgetown, Guyana and it is 1958.
The memories of that trip to what is now called Guyana but known then as British Guiana is hazy, dimly remembered through the dust of time.  It was so many years ago.
We left Port of Spain at around five o’clock in the evening of a Sunday in late July.  I was seen off by my Uncle George and my Aunt Madge, born in BG as was my father, and with whom I had been staying since the end of term.  I wasn’t supposed to be on that boat but someone had been unable to make the trip and Brother Vincent immediately put me up.  I was the last boy to be chosen and my name does not appear on any of the official teams, even though I played the final two football games.
The official picture of the team, taken in the gardens of the John Fernandes house in Kitty Village, Georgetown, where we were to live in ease and comfort for one wonderful, unforgettable, month shows our party of boys and three officials, Brother Vincent, our sports master and himself a native of BG; Father Cuthbert, O.S.B, the senior person on the tour and our coach, Mr. Allan Joseph or TAFA (Trinidad Amateur Football Association) as we referred to him.
From left to right in the picture, all in Mount finery, standing are Tang, Most,  Charles, Howard, Date, Kerry, Bratt, Serrette and Henderson.  Sitting in the front row is Herrera, Guildner, Brother Vincent, Father Cuthbert, Allan Joseph, Gransaull, Prada and Howell.  Missing are: Laquis, the Galt brothers and Viera and Philip.  There were others accompanying us who were not part of the official team.  Hugh Henderson for one, and one other boy who can be seen peeking out behind Allan Joseph on one of the few times we all got together on the boat.
Because, initially, the weather was perfect, the sea flat or slightly heaving as we weighed anchor and set out, goodbyes ringing in our ears, heading out into the Gulf of Paria, as fine a bunch of boys as you wanted, slight breeze blowing into our faces, the excitement of our first long sea voyage, two glorious days south on a boat ride to the Mud Land where we were to play a series of football, cricket and athletic competitions against our brother institution, St. Stanislaus in Georgetown.
I can’t remember much else about the beginning.  At first we simply flitted around the top of the ship, getting in the way of the few sailors, all rough and crude-like characters, until we realised that there was not much to see and began to congregate at the front.  The “Mabiri” was a small ship, 190 tons according to a picture I have and seemed to be carrying a load of concrete.  It sailed very low in the water, the lower deck almost flush with the sea and heaved disconcertingly at times.  We all sat down on a built-up central area of the middle deck and excitedly began a lime.  It seemed that no one had worked out where we were to sleep and our luggage had disappeared into a hold and we never saw it until two days later.  No one also was able to tell us where we were to eat and body functions were never discussed.  But young boys are nothing if not adaptable and after some discussion, we agreed that we would share what food we had, Crix being very available, as well as Mars chocolate and oranges and we would all sleep on a higher part of the deck, it being such a pleasant evening, what with the wind just picking up a bit as we headed south around the tip of Cedros to our left and gradually vanishing off into the orange and pinkness of the western sunset. 
Suddenly, it was night and the waves which had, up to that time, rolled gently under our hull, began to kick up and the wind began to get a bit colder and the voices quieted one by one and somehow or the other we drifted off to sleep, quite comfortable and warm, next to each other, under the open sky, looking up at the stars.  Heavenly, if a bit uncomfortable. 
Then the nightmare began. 
The first thing I remember is suddenly being jolted awake by the ship giving a tremendous heave and falling back into the sea.  Looking around there were a few anxious faces, some sleeping ones still and someone retching in a corner.  A fine spray of salt water was being thrown up by the bow of the boat directly back into our faces.  Angry dark clouds had appeared, scudding by us and the sea had awakened and instead of rolling gently around, it was now heaving and blustering ominously and, as the little bark began to dance with us, it began to rain.  What was later described as a “squall” was upon us.  Squall is joke.  If that was a “squall”, I am a newspaper.  We had no shelter and within minutes we were all soaked except for a few who had moved around to the side of the ship which had some shelter.  A few sailors appeared and discussions were held and it seemed for a small sum, they were willing to lend us a heavy tarpaulin to place over the boom which ran from the front of the cabin to just beyond us.  We all struggled to set it up and move some cases to the sides so that, a) we had some protection from the broaching seas, because by now the “Mabiri” was corkscrewing violently and shipping water over the lower deck and even occasionally onto our higher perch, and, b) to prevent anyone from sliding overboard!   
The next eighteen hours is a mystery to me and how we survived must be known only to the couple of boys, Randall Galt and Roger Henderson, I believe who were the only ones not to get sea-sick.  By midnight I had vomited all the Crix and orange juice and remained rolled up in an old blanket I found somewhere with my eyes tightly closed since the smallest movement of my head caused my world to spin and my stomach to retch in empty spasm.  Around me no one was any better.  The three officials had vanished and for all we cared could have fallen overboard.  Any one who has ever suffered the unbelievable nausea and misery of a bad seasickness will understand what I mean.  During all this time it poured rain, cold, stinging rain and when the rain lifted briefly, freezing spray was flung directly into our unprotected faces from the crashing and rising of the bow of the craft. 
Sometime on the Monday afternoon, about three PM, the “squall” stopped  and we emerged from hibernation, to look around fearfully at the sea and the effects of our vomiting on our sleeping quarters.  The next few hours constitute the best memories of the trip.  After some basic cleaning up, we realised we were famished.  The captain of the ship, a short, surly character who we saw twice, since he never left his cabin, had remarkably caught a shark with a hook thrown off the stern and agreed to cook it up for us with some rice, for a price of course.  The executive bargained successfully with him, not without some helpful prayers from us and we duly were apportioned a small plate covered with greasy rice and bits and pieces of heavenly-tasting fish, washed down with luke-warm water and  eaten with battered metal spoons.  It was the best meal I had had for months. 
There is a fabulous picture of some of us at that time, just after we had eaten, crowded together on the high deck, sitting or semi-lying down, Brother Vincent has his shoes off and Kerry is about to take his off and we are laughing, probably at something that Brother Vincent has just said and there is a spirit of relaxation and comfort and camaraderie that is palpable.  The boat has stopped rocking sideways, it’s moving forward, the trip is almost over, the warm sea-breeze is back, our stomachs are full and the future looks bright.
It was soon over.  Without warning and again as the darkness fell, the sea began to act up, the rain commenced, the wind began to blow violently and this time we could not stay on top, the water was washing over and through us.  Someone, I never found out who, had organised bunks for us in the crew cabins.  All I remember is stumbling down a steel ladder, holding on to the steel walls of the narrow passageway, breathing in the foul smell of diesel oil and stale vomit, as the ship rocked from side to side and I tried to keep the contents of my stomach inside my mouth.  Somehow I knew that the sailor leading me into his shared quarters would not appreciate a mouthful of the stuff onto his back.  He led me into a tiny six foot by six foot cabin and I collapsed onto the floor together with a couple of other boys.  One or two had managed to make it to a bed but soon had to relinquish it when the owners finished their shift.  Me, I slept on that cold, hard, damp, shaking, rolling, stinking floor and only got up to rush to the sink to empty my stomach of the rice and fish, at which time, I vaguely remember Swami Galt peering into the cabin and steupsing.  The rest of the night is a horror of giddiness and unrelenting headache and sore throat and the roll, roll, roll of the ship, the rumbling and shaking of the motors and the foulness and roughness of the cabin floor on my nose. 
It all ended quite remarkably, with no fanfare. 
I suddenly awoke.  The rolling motion had stopped.  The engines were silent.  There was an abnormal calm.  I was lying alone on the floor.  I unsteadily got up and looked out the porthole.  The horizon looked near and dark.  The darkness of land.  In the early dawn light, I could just make out a large, shining clock at the top of a high, gabled building near the edge of the harbour.  It was the famous Georgetown market clock.  We had arrived.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Dear Sir:
I ran across your Newsletter on the web and I am hoping that you can help.
Harry Guildner was the best man at my wedding in Lincoln, Nebraska in 1963 when he was a student.
Over the years we lost touch.
I tried his email from the 2008 Newsletter without success.
Do you have a recent email address or other information for him that can assist me?
With thanks,
Anthony Bryan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
A nice song 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poem of the Free GPS
The Free GPS
I have a little GPS
I've had it all my life
It’s better than the normal ones
My GPS is my wife
It gives me full instructions
Especially on how to drive
"It's thirty miles an hour", it says
"You're doing thirty five".
It tells me when to stop and start
And when to use the brakes
And tells me that it's never ever
Safe to overtake
It tells me when a light is red
And when it goes to green
It seems to know instinctively
Just when to intervene
It lists the vehicles just in front
And all those to the rear
And taking this into account
It specifies my gear.
I'm sure no other driver
Has so helpful a device
For when we leave and lock the car
It still gives its advice
It fills me up with counselling
Each journey's pretty fraught
So why don't I exchange it
And get a quieter sort?
Ah well, you see, it cleans the house,
Makes sure I'm properly fed,
It washes all my shirts and things
And - keeps me warm in bed!
Despite all these advantages
And my tendency to scoff,
I do wish that once in a while
I could turn the damned thing off.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
MSBAP09MI6512, Mount Inside
13LK7152NSMGRP,
Trini comedy by Nigel Boos
60CV0008GUYANESETOUR, with a lot of unknowns.





No comments:

Post a Comment