20 April 2013

Circhlar No 598



Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 20 April 2013 No. 598
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
Happy Birthdays to you Ladislao, (Editor of the Circular), Thank you friends.
Now down to business, after blowing the candle and cutting the virtual cake.
LOCATION REUNION what happened??? Joseph Berment, can you update and give me the latest from the boardroom???? 
If you want your opinion to be posted in the Circular, please send me a note.
Remember that the Circular needs your comments. 
The reunion date is only 50 Circulars away. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Subject: Take a vote on the Reunion Location
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 07:21:55 +0000 
Dear Nigel & Cecil, 
I do believe we can secure our visit to Trinidad, even if we have to make special arrangements for our Grand Master Knights like Cecil at the age of 79, transportation to and from, to where ever they decide to stay,
I will personally arrange for younger Knights that live in Trinidad, to be assigned to certain brothers, making their movements, transparent to the environment, where one can focus on the only the reason, why we are descending upon this island in the sun. 
May our dreams come true, we are only a few, a hundred or two, plus the Knights in the Sky.  
We all are seeing the Light, and it is shining upon every Knight, from a Castle on a mountain, our Light House in the Sky. 
What will be, will be. Long Live The Mount.
Thanking you both, gentlemen for your kind cooperation on this matter. 
May the blessings of the Almighty be with you my older brothers. 
Yours Faithfully
Glen McKoy. 
(Ladislao´s part-time office helper, presently in Isla Mujeres, off Cancun Mexico. ha!ha!).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 18:26:06 -0500 
Thank you, Cecil, for your comments.
I'm really not sure what decision will be taken by the guys, so I wait and watch.
I think it's a great idea to have everyone come together, and I would hope that the fellas will take advantage of the occasion to make even deeper attempts to get to know and understand one another, so that benefits other than a growing interpersonal relationship can result.
If this Reunion suggestion gets off the ground, I'll try to make some concrete proposals at that time.
Nigel 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-11-22, at 4:55 PM, Elizabeth Ince wrote: 
Dear Nigel: 
It is very depressing to read all the "bad" things which Trinidad is experiencing.
Barbados continues to offer a good quality of life but I feel that the Mount itself will be missing –
we should be able to engage a protective security agency for a short weekend visit for our Reunion in Trinidad.
At 79, I do not want to get involved with Reunion arrangements - but if I felt Trinidad is made secure enough for our group, I certainly would try to attend. 
So many of my class mates are now RIP.
PAX
CECIL INCE 
----- Original Message -------------------------------------------------------------
From: Nigel Boos
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:47 AM
Subject: Take a vote on the Reunion Location 
This is terrible, Richard.
We've heard much about the dangerous place which Trinidad has become, and we hear the murder stats at the end of each year, wondering what's being done about the situation.
Then, we also hear about friends and family at home who do not find it any more unsafe that living anywhere else.
Each of us can relate first and second-hand stories about killings, drugs, etc. and I for one would prefer, if I had the choice, to go to B'dos for a Reunion such as we're discussing.
Maybe one or two of our B'dos Old Boys can advise us about the situation there?
Why don't we ask Peter Boos (Left MSB around 1955-56), Cecil Ince (Class of 1949) and Scipio Soodeen (Class of 1952) for their advice?
They all live in B'dos and should have a better "feel" for the situation there.
How safe is Barbados anyway? (I've heard stories).
Nigel 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-11-20, at 8:04 AM, Richard Farah wrote: 
I lived in an upper middle class part of Cascade....
And I don’t feel safe anywhere in this land.
So Trinidad is a truly dangerous place today.
Neither Tobago..
Richard Farah. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Shaun Gianetti <sgianetti@mac.com>
Sent: Tue Nov 20 06:14:48 2012 
I don't know why you think Trinidad is unsafe for your family.
No one is asking to go into Laventille. I live in Trinidad.
I don't feel unsafe here one bit.
Don't let the news headlines fool you.
The same way I wouldn't go into the slum areas in any country. 
Ask yourself first what is the purpose of the reunion?
- to meet the old boys
- to see the old school and haunts you ventured to
- nostalgia revisited
Any event will require good sense to prevail. Good planning. 
There will be no tours into Laventille.
That's my 2 cents
Shaun 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Nov 19, 2012, at 11:25 PM,
david decastro <calypsobandit@live.com> wrote: 
Gentlemen—
Let sense prevail--this is not a boys lime --safety for the family must be number one.
Therefore, Trinidad is out.
Let’s think again??? Maybe Barbados????
Bandit
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 02:35:55 +0000 
Dear Sirs,
Bandit don't say never, if it in Trinidad you better come, cause I'm going..
if a big vote was called I am sure Trinidad will win, if most of the guys in Trinidad votes. 
Bandit I will be calling you, don't make no decision yet.
If it’s going to be Barbados, we have a few well established mount boys already there, then I will call upon Jon Golding for his advice as he spends a lot of time there,
I will also try to contact Allan Juman a old boy who lives there, to check on hotels etc., as they use to own some hotels there. 
Hopefully can do this thru Jimmy Samaroo, who is in contact with Roger Juman in Trinidad, plus there are many other brothers that will step forward to help.
Now a bunch of wild cards are looking at Miami also, so we have a few choices,
I think only Ladislao can call a Vote, why, well we do things in order, and I only work in the office, my boss is Ladislao and only he can call this vote in a formal Circular, and then it’s official. 
Just a suggestion but I have no problem keeping count. 
Anyhow let’s get some more feed back and see where things are going.
So the way it looking, some will take a cruise to Trinidad or Barbados, from Miami, ha! ha!  
Later Glen/ Isla Mujeres/Mexico.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: RE: Take a vote on the reunion Location
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:33:34 -0500 
Hello-
I won’t go to Trinidad for free--not me and my family
so gentlemen on this subject I say adios—
"bandit" 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 10:45:32 -0600 
Don Mitchell’s has made some practical suggestions for Trinidad being the best place for a reunion.
I agree with him.
Let’s vote on it and send our vote to the point man I believe should be Glen Mckoy who can count the votes and let us know where the majority have chosen.
I’ve cast my vote on attached spread sheet.
Donald A. Goddard
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Cell: 225-975-0222
Email: dgodda1 @lsu.edu  
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Glen Mckoy [mailto:mckoy43glen@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:28 AM
Subject: RE: SYDNEY OUT........????????IN
 
Hello
I am here to serve, so whatever I can do I will to assist any of the 3 groups suggested
in any way I can to the best of my abilities, so please count me in as a volunteer to this One Love Reunion, Long Live our Dreams, 
Glen.  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: Re: SYDNEY OUT........????????IN
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 05:16:50 -0600 
Thanks, Don. 
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Don Mitchell
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:38 PM 
Sure, George,
What I suggest is this. 
In 2014 I shall hopefully be entirely retired. 
So, I should have plenty time to put into this.
Meanwhile, does anyone know a good, honest, hardworking conference/events organiser in Trinidad? 
There must be several yellow pages of listings. 
So, if no one does, I’ll just use the yellow pages.
Don 
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: A Mickiewicz
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:12 PM
Subject: SYDNEY OUT........????????IN 
It is very evident that Sydney will not be the location for the 70th Abbey School anniversary. 
So I am “passing the ball” to the following teams to continue the effort of organizing the get together which I will plan to personally attend with my wife God willing: 
Florida Team – Jorge Iwaszkiewicz and need a volunteer
Trinidad Team – Don Mitchell and Tony Vieira
Barbados Team – Don Goddard and Freddy Freites
In advance, thanks Jorge, Don M, Tony, Don G, and Freddy for volunteering your popular suggestions and taking the lead in helping the alumni to determine that “magical city and  castle” where we will convene to banquet and feast in 2014. 
Let me know if I can help you in any way. 
God bless us all,
George (Yury, Shish) 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Don Mitchell
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:14 AM
Subject: LET'S STOP WASTING OUR TIME 
Perhaps Ladislao could post this thread in an upcoming Circular to see if there is any significant reaction to George’s latest suggestion. 
If there is little or no reaction, then George will have a point.
Don 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
11LK8224RBOWFE, Roberto Bodington and wife.
57RB0001a5, oldboys without names
09LK0060MSBBOOK, gathering of authors.
GCE Bulletin page 2, 










No comments:

Post a Comment