23 February 2013

Circular No 590


 
 

Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 23 February 2013 No. 590
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM
From rmgalt@aol.com
Great memories... 53 years ago..
Hard to imagine.
Feels like it was yesterday.
Laz and you do such a fantastic job in keeping all of us old boys up to date with what's going on.
I am confident it is greatly appreciated by all.
Nigel, you are right, it is Tilson Tang in the photo.
I will make an effort to contribute if and when I can.
Keep well, all the best,
Rich.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------,
On Sep 16, 2012, at 6:37 AM,
Nigel Boos <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca> wrote:
Laz,
Thanks for this photograph.
I believe, though, that the chap identified as Roberto Bodington is really Tilson Tang, and that the fellow standing and looking on is Harry Guildner.
Maybe Turtle Back would like to comment?
Nigel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------,
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 04:20:13 -0700
27 August 06:50
Fr. Harold - Thank you for the photographs you uploaded for us 2 days ago.
I couldn't respond to each upload, there were so many, but they were all appreciated, nevertheless.
Thank you, and thanks too, to Salvador Coscarart for supplying the photos.
Comment history
Kazim Abasali
25 August 19:13
Nigel Boos, thank you for your appreciation of the group.
Your comment serves to further inspire us.
God bless you and your family, and our group and family as well.
Kazim Abasali
25 August 16:11
I would like to let Ladislao Kertesz and Don label the photos for the Newsletter/Blog.
Let us make sure Nigel Boos get all the latest names and email addresses.
One important thing to remember, Facebook only serves those connected to this social media.
Don is not connected and a lot of people choose not for their own personal reasons.
So this group is serving only part of an association for now.
Also remember Facebook keeps changing, and we do not know where we will be with this group as time go by.
So enjoy and use while we can....
Blessings to all....Kazim
25 August 15:51
Kazin, Ladislao you can then download any picture any of the old boys post on the group. This is the new era the members control the content.
I expect that we will need to moderate the posts if it gets out of hand.
Father Harold Imamshah
25 August 15:39
Ok. I'll do that later;
I'm off to the 4pm Mass at one of my Churches.
God bless.
Kazim Abasali
25 August 15:33
Father Harold can you kindly upload those photos here like you and Salvador Coscarart did in the other group?
Kazim Abasali
20 August 13:13
MSB boys kindly join my Facebook group of friends, please, those haven't as yet, that is. Blessings....Kazim
----------------------------------------------------------------------------,
Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM
From Glen Mckoy
Dear Don & Nigel,
I am glad to see all this about the Aqua lads, a Club within the Club ha! ha!,
I was a little sad to read about my friend Bernard Lange who died in 1994.
Bernard was up at the mount teaching, when I was there, in my last years.
He was a really nice guy, he must have went thru a lot of life challenges, that is why he was on the mount, a really cool guy,
I believe he had a major nervous break down or something like that, before he came up and teach, don't quote me.
Any how, for all those who knew Bernard, I would just like to add this, for the time I knew him, he was a real Knight, a gentleman, to the brothers a good friend.
Cheers mi amigos
Glen Mckoy. Nova Scotia Canada.
------------------------------------------------------------------------,
From: idmitch@anguillanet.com
Subject: Aqualads
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 19:23:40 -0300
Good to see you on this posting, Alan.
Hope everyone is reading Ladislao’s Circulars at
and that you check it once a week or so for any new postings.
Don’t forget to use the comment button at the end of any post that you want to say something about.
Keep well.
Don
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Alan Date
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:15 AM
Subject: Re: Aqualads - Perhaps from '67 - '69
Nigel,
Ah, that photo brings back memories:
I'm back in the pool area, & can taste the chlorine (more like feel it sting your eyes!), and can see Fr. Bernard giving out medals.
But, as far as I can remember, I never swam for Aqualads; I think it was only after leaving MSB (late/end of '62?) that I began swimming competitively; I certainly later competed against the Aqualads!
So, I can't be much help except to say that I agree with the Farah & Mitchell suggestions (for #s 8 & 9). And would Bernard Lange, RIP, have been involved then as coach, and so in the picture?
Incidentally, do the Old Boys' records have mention of Bernard saving a life in that pool?
He retrieved the unconscious fellow from the deep end, and performed resuscitation.
And he received a medal for that, I believe from the Governor General (Sir Solomon Hochoy?) at Scout Headquarters in St. Ann's.
Not invited and not brazen enough to storm the ceremony, I stood by the roadside and watched the hand over through the chain link fence.
Man, you've brought to mind some long-buried - but good - memories!
Keep well, & GB: I'll offer my attendance & a prayer at 6pm Mass here in HK for you good folk...
Alan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Attila GYURIS <gyuris@yahoo.com> wrote:
Nigel:
Sorry, but no, it is not from 67-69 I am quite sure of that.
I am # 12.
I quit the Aqualads in 1967 and I graduated Form V in 1969.
It must be earlier than that.
It would be somewhere in 1966- 1967.
Attila Gyuris
Abbey School 1964-1969
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:59 AM
From Gmail Jan
Dear Nigel,
I copied the Aqualads picture with names from your Word document so nobody gets confused.
There is one remark I can give, I knew Michael Farah very well because he was in my class all the years from '63-'67.
I don't think #8 or #`15 are Michael Farah, I think #8 is indeed a Farah but his younger brother. I don't recognize #15 being a Farah.
I used to hang out with Josh Schoemaker and Attila Gyuris and from the looks of them I do agree with them the picture could be as early when they were at the end of their Form I in June 1965 or the year after that.
I put in a cut-out of Michael Farah from my class picture from the same time June 1965 when I was in form II.
I know him as wearing braces to his teeth, and he looks older to me than #8 in the picture below.
#8 doesn't look like wearing braces either.
If the Aqualads picture is around June 1966 than Michael Farah would even grown much older than #8.
Hope I can be of any help.
Much greetings
Jan Koenraadt '63-'67
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
According to information received from Gerry Chin Cham, Salah Wilson, Don Mitchell and Attila Gyuris, the boys in this photograph are:
1 Bernard Lange (Died 1994) (Decision by elimination)
2 Br. Rupert O.S.B.
3
4
5
6 Peter Chandler
7
8 Frank or Michael Farah (Suggested by Attila Gyuris)
9 Gordon Mitchell ? (Suggested by Don Mitchell)
10
11 Josh Schoemaker
12 Attila Gyuris
13 Fulvio Cantore
14 Rommel Roserio
15 Frank or Michael Farah (Suggested by Josh Schoemaker)
16
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------,
José Leonardo Chacín Becerra
6 September 04:18
Hi Ladislao!
My email address is DJQchi@gmail.com, and I'm actually living in Margarita Island, Venezuela.
José Leonardo Chacín Becerra
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
2 September 23:06
Hi Ladislao,
I used to study in Mt. St. Benedict from year 67 to year 70.
For some reason I don't remember you, were you attending Abbey School during those years?
Anyway, I am contacting you thanks to our friend Winston Ramsahai, I don't know him personally but he found me as I have in my FB profile
Mt. St. Benedict as my secondary school. I'd be very pleased to get more in contact with you, and of course with my old mates.
Congratulations for the great job you are doing with your blog, sweet memories indeed!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
6 September 03:51
Ok Jose
Please send me your email address so that I may send you the newsletter
Please indicate where you are living at this time
I shall include you in the weekly list
God bless
Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
Photos:
59WK059TUGAWAR,
65UN0005AQUALADS borroso
65AG0001AQUALADS,
09LK0058MSBBOOK, Fr. Mark Tierney, rip, writer of the book
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment