9 February 2013

Circular No 588




Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 9 February 2013 No. 588
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don Mitchell
8 Feb
Hi Ladislao,
I set off from Anguilla on my travels to Saint Vincent tomorrow afternoon to prepare for work on Monday.
There is not much of a list of cases fixed for the coming week, so it will be a light Court of Appeal sitting.
We are now nearly one month in arrears in posting the Circulars on
I can only hope that it is exciting and remunerative work that keeps you away from sending me new Circulars for posting, and not something more serious.
In my case, the ravages of old age having brought the prospects of real, ie, private professional, work to an end; and the continuing recession having dealt a devastating blow to my dividends and other unearned income that were supposed to guarantee a safe and rewarding retirement,
I am glad now to have an almost part-time “retirement job” that guarantees Maggie and me some regular cash flow.
But, I must admit that, with advancing age and decrepitude making themselves more and more evident both mentally and physically in my case,
I find myself more and more longing for the day when my most difficult legal and ethical question on waking up in the morning will be whether or not it is going to rain and save me from having to sprinkle the garden herbs.
Here’s hoping you are not in the same trough of despair as I am, but are in an aeroplane daily soaring vibrantly above the forests of the interior of Venezuela seeking out more airstrips that need to be properly wired, oblivious to the need for us to see a new Circular :-
Keep well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
Don Mitchell
5 Feb
Hi Ladislao,
Just to let you know I had a telephone call from Joe Bermont.
He was wondering if you were okay, as we have not heard from you for a while.
I explained to him that sometimes you are stuck in the bush of Venezuela working on an airstrip for a month or two, and I do not hear from you.
Then, all of a sudden, I get four or five Circulars.
That seemed to satisfy him.
Maggie and I are fine.
I was working in Grenada last week, and on Saturday I leave for Saint Vincent for a week’s work again.
I am getting too old for this crap, so, I think I shall soon bring it to an end.
My contract with the Court of Appeal ends in August, and I do not believe I shall want to renew it after that.
It is overtime for the younger generation to take over.
Keep well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 20:36:06 +0000
My Dear Brother Neil,
We have spoken about your mom a couple of times over the years.
I am so sorry to read this, please know we are embracing you and your family, in our hearts and in our prayers now my friend, at this moment in your loss.
Please don't hesitate to contact me any time to chat.
Please give Rhoda my love & a hug, stay strong my brother.
Send me your number in Trinidad I will call, will send this email to all the guys in Trinidad,
I expect you will be contacted soon.
Take Care, Thank You for Sharing Neil, I Love You Man, May God Bless You and Your family at this time.
If there is any way we can be of service, please say so.
Your Faithfully,
Glen McKoy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
From: nchacha57@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 08:03:59 -0500
Glen,
I just got some sad news.  My mom passed away this morning and I am leaving for T'dad this evening.  My dad also died on this same day, can you believe that?
Please pass this along to the rest of the guys; the year my dad died was also carnival weekend.
Chat with you when I get back.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From Glen Mckoy
Dear Trevor,
Sorry to read about Jackie's cousin Derek, we send her our love; please do extend our sympathy to Derek's family,
Take care my brother, thank you Nigel for sharing with us,
Best regards
Glen McKoy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: nigelboos@yahoo.ca
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 00:32:30 -0400
May he rest in peace, Trevor.
He's in a great place now, to be sure.
Please extend my sympathy to Jackie and to Derek's family.
Nigel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-09-21, at 9:43 PM,
Trevor Evelyn wrote:
Nigel
Would like you to know that Derek Wight died a couple of months ago
He was Jackie’s cousin
Trevor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-09-21, at 2:00 PM, Beebethy@aol.com wrote:
Yes, this is John he would love to get more info about the past students thanks Beth
----- Reply message -----------------------------------------------
From: "Nigel Boos" <nigelboos@yahoo.ca>
To: "Maingot Beth & John" <beebethy@aol.com>
Subject: Hi Beth     
Date: Thu, Sep 20, 2012 3:46 pm
Hello, Beth.
Just a wee word from North o' the Border to ye.
I hope this email finds you and the family in good health and happiness.
I'm coming to you to ask a question.
Was John ever a student at the Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict?
We have records of a John Maingot who graduated from the Abbey School, somewhere around 1949, and I'm just checking to see if that John could be your John.
Please let me know.
With very best wishes.
Nigel
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
FatherHarold Imamshah posted in Mount St Benedict Abbey boys Trinidad
4 September 14:41
Does anyone know if Richard Diaz who lives in Tobago is an alumnus of Abbey School,
He was a monk for a while, and I think his contemporaries were Fr. Vincent and Bro. Paschal.
He used to pay us a visit at least once a year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 5:18 AM
RE: Cashew nuts.
From Glen Mckoy
Hello Attila & Nigel,
Attila, thanks for the offer to send me some Cashew from the jungle, but I think they ripe quick and rotten quick also, maybe that's why they don't sell it.
Anyhow ah was wondering if the poor cashew survived after we left the Mount.
I don't think we were allowed to pick cashew really, ha! ha
Well you know we use to go and get the scrapes from the host? down by the nuns, well I started to talk to this young nun in training (novice), nice girl, so I would drop by every now and then, getting a little conversation in, man the next thing ah know,
Bobo want to see me, that was it, no boys allowed to go there any more for host, man ah was so vex, welcome to the Jail, ha! ha!.
Bobo was a good fella, three times he almost expel meh.
The 1st. time he tried to expel meh, ah could not go home because my parents were in the U.S, the 2nd time ah get away because ah I was in a pray group, so he ease meh up on that one, the 3rd time he could not prove ah bust this guy head, because nobody see who throw the stone.
Man every time ah think about the Mount, ah can´t stop laughing.
Don't worry ah was not as bad as Bandit, boy Bandit was hell on th mount.
Ah think Bandit did get expel once, for throwing a big and hitting the church door, boy it had some crazy people that went to the Mount eh! ha! ha!
Cheers Mi Amigos, always a pleasure to hear stories about the Mount, and every story yuh hear is true,
ha! ha! Adios Glen McKoy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 15:57:36 -0400
Strange how cashews carry their seeds on the OUTSIDE of their skins, eh?
I believe that this is a unique feature that they alone have.
Nigel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-09-26, at 12:40 PM, Attila GYURIS wrote:
Hey Glen:
Right now I am in the Amazonas region of Ecuador, near where the headshrinker tribes are
Coincidentally, the other day I saw some cashew trees with red and yellow ripe cashew apples hanging all over.
Immediately my memories went way back to my Mount days when we would snatch the cashew apples from the trees on the way down the path to the sports field.
It didn't matter then that some were incredibly acidic, and left a furry taste in your palate, they were still heavenly.
Want me to send you some before all the guacamayas eat them all? ;-)
Attila Gyuris
++++++++++++++++++++
From: Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com>
Hello Nigel,
Where do find these names ha! ha!
Anyhow, don't know Stephen Bushe, Gerry Campbell we started the same year, I saw him on face book, my brother Hudson may have more info.
Sterling Hackett, lost contact a a long time ago.
I do have his brother Wayne Hackett on my list.
David Harris, one of our club pilots, I also have him on my list, the others must be late 70's - 80's?
My son John, is not a mount boy, so he need not be on the list ha! ha! at this moment.
However in due course, we will have to allow a Relative Contact, some one we can contact, or can contact us on behalf of a brother, who may be having problems seeing or writing.
In that case, any brother that would like to get a call, just tell us, I would volunteer to make such calls.
I am already talking to Bandit on the phone, he must be close to 90 years old now ha! ha!, but ah think he does hear and see more than me, as a matter of fact, ah think he does see to much, ha! ha!.
Nigel you know the only place I ever eat the Cashew fruit is on the mount, wierd or what, I remember Mono, Salvador and myself eating Cashew on the way down to the playing field, real juicy eh! ?
Can you buy this fruit anywhere ? Rare of What ?
Later Cheers Mi Amigos - Glen McKoy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 06:50:41 -0400
OK. So far I understand that the following guys were indeed students at MSB:
Stephen Bushe
Gerry Campbell
Sterling Hackett
David Harris
Avalon Kalloo
Brandon Khan
John Lum Young
Roger Maingot
I also know now, that John McKoy is Glen's son, and of course we should consider him as an "Associate Member" of our little group, and should be included in any of our future activities whatever they be.
But I'd still like to have his email address.
Finally, I'd like some word on these guys, please:
Miren Zurine Atela (I wonder whether he could be related to Azier Atela - Class of 1958? - If so, he probably could give us Azier's email address)
Thanks for your kind help with this.
Nigel
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
11PD0009MSBEDI,
28233LK12FACEBOOK,
12NB4748AJAXREUNION,
10595LK12FACEBOOK,




No comments:

Post a Comment