13 July 2013

Circular No 610


 
 
Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 13 July 2013 No. 610
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don Mitchell <idmitch@anguillanet.com>
20 May 
Dear Priscilla, 
How good to have news of you after so many years, and to learn that you are well. 
The news about Joel is not good, I am afraid. 
One day in the year 1981 I was sitting in my office when an elderly French gentleman came to see me. 
He was a banana and anthurium farmer from Guadeloupe. 
He wanted legal advice about the rules relating to a foreigner doing consultancy landscape work in Anguilla.
He happened to notice a photograph on my wall and exclaimed that it included his son, Joel Guy Blandin. 
It turned out he was the father of my best friend in Forms 1-5 at Mount. 
He was in tears as he told me that some years before Joel had married and settled down in Nice in France. 
Joel was employed as the Secretary of the Nice Chamber of Commerce. 
Some years later, he and his wife had fallen out and they were divorcing. 
Her father was the communist mayor of Nice. 
One day while Joel was driving his motor-cycle along a highway a vehicle drew up alongside him and he was machine-gunned to death. 
The old man believed that his son’s father in law had had it done. 
Mr Blandin left my office and I never heard from him again.
I have no idea what happened to him after that.
Almost a Colombian story!
Keep well.
Don
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 12:14 PM
Subject: Greetings
Thanks for the compliment guys, 1962 sounds sooooooooooooo long ago and consequently I do not remember clearly the occasions. 
But, yes, I do remember very well the Sports Days when all ah we sisters of de Mount boys, in those days, pretty young ladies, would do a lot of that strutting that you mention the boys doing, we did our share. 
And yes, lots of crushes coming to and fro, at that age, they were flying back and forth. 
I remember liking very much one of the French Creole boys, not sure where he was from, Guadeloupe, Martinique, or St. Lucia, but he was cute. 
His name is/was Dominique Piton, md.piton@free.fr, and his good friend, who liked Annabella, was Joel ?? something. 
Do you have any news about them?
You guys are all doing a great job and that includes Ladislao, so keep it up.
I still live in here in Colombia, where I have lived for the past 30 years. 
My husband passed away in 2007 but I stayed on. 
Colombia is a great place still, Third World, with lots of internal warfare from their eternal guerilla problem going back some 50 years, but life is good, salaries are low so one can still permit the luxury of help with the house work and the region where I live the climate is referred to an Eternal Spring.
Keep in touch,
God Bless,
Priscilla 
------------------------------------------------------------.
Your editor has had a chance to speak with Priscilla during my visit to Bogota about a month ago. 
Sorry that I did not have time to visit Medellin, maybe next time.
Ladislao 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Some old news that was not included in memory of Wayne Henderson
From Nigel Boos
Gentlemen, 
I'm asking for prayers for our friend and old schoolmate, Wayne Henderson, who is suffering with lung cancer and is now in hospital, I guess, in the USA.
Wayne received the Sacrament of the Sick last night and from the information sent in by Sandra Ward, it seems he's really not doing too well. 
Thank you.
Nigel 
----- Forwarded Message -------------------------------------------------------------
From: Sandra Ward <smward65@hotmail.com> 
Hi Folks, 
Thanks so much for your continued support and prayers, that’s keeping me going. 
It’s been a tough time but thank God that I am here with my bro.
Last night we had to rush off to hosp with him as he had a very difficult day, lots of pain, trouble breathing etc etc. 
Got to hosp around 10pm and stayed there till 2am as they were doing lots of tests on him.
Just got back from visiting and he was not looking too good but since got a call that he seems brighter. 
He is on all sorts of equipment, drips, morphine etc etc and the problem last night is that a clot has gone to his lungs. 
We figured that as he was getting pain on the other side of his body and his leg was really hurting and we noticed his toes going blue.
Anyway rushed off and while on the trip I just prayed loud and had everyone join in prayer and after some time he started to relax and breathe better and then he looked at me and said " honky, you powerful, those prayers helped " I said " Wayne, that's God " so he gave a little smile and said " yes, he's good " so Praise God.. 
We still are not sure what the entire situation is as we have received so many conflicting reports, one minute pneumonia, then last stage cancer, now clots etc so waiting on all results to come in. 
Had a priest come today at the hosp to give him the Sacrament of the Sick and while the priest was praying for all his sins he looked up and said " Father, don’t take all as some of them were good" we laughed like crazy and so did the confused priest. 
hahaha   His sense of humour is still there and he still has time to say some funny stuff and of course rudeness so that’s the old Wayne. 
----------------------------------------------------------------
Robert Anderson had to leave today for Miami to attend the very sad funeral and plans on returning on wed. 
Craig also left and will come back on the weekend.
It’s just Garry & I now and Sharon may come on friday if not before.
Keep us all in prayer and I'll try to keep in touch as often as possible.
Hugs & God's blessings to all...  xoxoxoxox 
Love Sandra.
----------------------------------------------------------------.
Dear Nigel,
Even though I have never met you, obviously, I know about you through our common friend, Ladislao Kertesz.  
I must recognize that together with Ladislao, you both have done an excellent big task, which will finally help us to be in touch with all our old friends.
I sincerely thank you for it, and I hope to be lucky enough to talk about it with you personally. 
I am sending you my personal data, the one that should appear on the board. 
Best regards,
 Miguel Angel Luongo 
0058-412-7235822
0058-424-2211015
------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-07-10, at 11:02 PM, angel wrote: 
Hi Glen. 
I just checked and I am sorry about the mix up with the date. It is 1968. 
I also have in my possession another GOLD medal won by my brother Lorenzo Da Silva and it reads at the back  
“First in Form 111 B 1968-1969”. 
He can be seen in the class picture next to Neville Tania.
Not sure of the spelling. 
I will try and get these scanned and send them to you. 
Angel 
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Glen Mckoy
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 1:50 PM 
Dear Fr. Harold, 
Our brother Angel,
Did say he received this medal in 1986 not 1968, maybe I am wrong, however Angel can confirm, this little mix up.
Cheers thank you for your email.
Glen.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 20:45:28 -0500
Glen,
The Abbey School closed at the end of the Academic Year 1986.
The medal won by Steve Hart was won in 1968.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
SECCION - 2014 REUNION Part 3 
There are five directors at the Association with the following obligations;
Joseph Berment-McDowald - president,
Whose activities are to extract action by those under his guidance. 
Ladislao Kertesz - chronicler, as I have not been given formal title or want one.
The activities entrusted are to send out a weekly newsletter, not only to inform the actions taken by the board, but also publish all letters received.
No established function has been assigned by the directors. 
Dennis Adrian Gurley - Legal attorney
In charge of all legal documents on behalf of the ASAA 
Peter Sammy – Treasurer
In charge of the moneys, I have printed out two expense records in the past, but there seems to be a Banking problem, so no regular reports are forthcoming, until now. 
Gary Matthews – Secretary since last year?
The secretary´s job is to write once in a while any activities that the Board might initiate. No reports have been received as of today, so I presume that there have been no activities or meetings to report. 
Christopher Knowles - ASAA´s helper, the all do when no one wants to do something personally. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------. 
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
MSBAP01MOUNTINSIDE6512, front cover issue No.9
74SC0010SCOGRP, Salvador and friends
91UN0001FBVREQ, Fr. Bernard obituary
249884LK12FACEBOOK, Sign at the Mount

No comments:

Post a Comment