8 June 2013

Circular No 605


 

Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 8 June 2013 No. 605

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Some clarification on Class 68 and Class 69, expertly done by Jan.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Nigel Boos
Wow! You've put in so much work into this tiny project!
Thanks for your wonderful effort, Jan.
We should get to the bottom of this soon.
Nigel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-09-03, at 6:45 AM, Gmail Jan wrote:
Dear Nigel,
I got the picture from Attila Gyuris in early 2008.
He copied it from Rommel Rosero in a restaurant or so. 
Attila tried to put in numbers and names but it didn't look beautiful.
That is the black and white picture 66UN0001CLASS69 here below.
Call it version 1. Because I had Adobe Photoshop, Attila asked me if I can make the numbers and names look better.
So I asked him for the original copy.
That is the brown & white picture here below. Call it version 2.
The numbering in version 1 jumps from 23 to 29 skips 6.
So I changed the numbering in the version 2 picture.
This was one class below me; it is the class of Josh Schoemaker.
Attila Gyuris skipped one class, and went from Form I straight up to Form III.
That's why Attila ended up in this class, but that is a school year later than when the picture was taken.
But Attila and Josh Schoemaker should know the boys.
I only know a few of them.
That #25 is Kennedy is not from me but either from Attila of Rommel Rosero, and I did not oppose that.
I remember Kennedy being small and he had a cute Jerry Lewis/ Sammy Davis like voice with a beard in his throat.
The first term I was at Mount, August '63 - Xmas '63, I had to learn the English language from scratch.
Somewhere Octobre '63 I must have spoken to this Kennedy boy, and I must have made him laugh.
I remember talking to him that I first thought that he had died when the news came John F Kennedy was dead.
In 2008 I sent the brown & white picture back to Attila (to me he is the owner) and a copy to Ladislao.
The Word document with updates of the names is new to me, never saw it before.
Don't know who made it.  
I don't know this Kennedy well enough to be sure #25 is him, but #25 fits well how I remember him.
He was like that, maybe the smallest boy at school that year, probably black hair etc.
But if somebody of that class overrules me that he is Martin Devaux, please follow the overruler.
I think you should check with the Devaux brothers if they know him as Martin Devaux.
Little Charles Devaux was in my class for four years, he never mentioned to me about Martin Devaux a class lower, that he is, or he is not, family to him.
While Charles well explained to me back then that Desmond Devaux is his brother and Patrick Devaux also in our class is not.
Is it possible the person who made the Word document confuses Charles Devaux with #25?
I see in your latest database under #389 a Martin Devaux but with no other information.
If you have the name Martin Devaux only from the Word document, I think you should ask OB from this class like Josh Schoemaker or Attila Gyuris or Andres Larsen, he might not exist?
Other thing.
I put in the Prep A picture 63UN0001CLASS1968 I sent this week, I put it here in the text. This was my class but one year before I came to the Mount.
Compare it with the brown &white picture, some boys of this Prep A class failed to go to Form I and dropped in the class of the brown & white picture. I see: 
#5 Steve Anderson = #15 in other picture 
#11 Peter Quesnel = #14 in other picture
#17 Michael d'Ornellas = #23 in other picture
#20 Reinaldo Ache = #3 in other picture
#25 Derek Fakoory = #12 in other picture
Hope is not too much confusing, hope I can give a little aid to all your work,
Much greetings Jan 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-09-02, at 6:17 PM, Gmail Jan wrote:
Dear Nigel,
Sorry for the inconvenience, made a typing mistake.
My class picture of Form II must be June 1965 not 1964.
I came in Form I in August 1963 until July 1964.
Form II from August 1964 to July 1965, the picture was taken short before that.
Ladislao gave the picture a name 65UN0001CLASS1968 Form II 1965, that is correct.
It is June 1965.
Much greetings
Jan 
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Dear Nigel,
All good here, hope the same with you.
You didn't attach a photo on the mail, but if you refer to my only class picture made by Fr. Benedict, with me second from left on the back row, that picture was made in June 1964 just before the summer holidays.
I read in your database that you also ask if anybody knew a boy named Kennedy.
Yes I do, he was a little boy a class lower than I was.
In November1963 word came around on the schoolyard that Kennedy was dead.
At first I thought they meant this boy.
I arrived at Mount august 1963 so I was only in my first term of Form I.
And this boy Kennedy was at that moment therefore in Prep A.
I don't have other memories of him from Form II on, it could be he left Mount after one year, I don't know for sure.
Being small made him cute, everybody liked him.
Much greetings, Jan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Jan,
In another identification exercise which I'd started about 2-3 years ago, it turns out that boy #25 was identified as a Martin Devaux, whereas, in another ID parade, he is called ??? Kennedy.
Here's the second picture, with names:
And here's another of the same picture, with different names given to the boys:
And here's the same picture, where #30 is considered to be young Master Kennedy:
Thanks for your help with this, Jan.
Nigel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Hi there, guys.
I'm trying to identify the boy numbered as #25 in the attached photograph, and I wonder whether you can help. 
He has been tentatively identified as a Kennedy, but at the same time, there are some who say that his name is Martin Devaux.
Are you able to verify / deny for me whether he is in fact, Martin Devaux, if you know such a person?
Your help would be appreciated.
Nigel Boos
P.S. By the way, I'm also trying to get some email addresses for the following OB's of MSB: Anthony Devaux, Charles Devaux, Desmond Devaux and Martin Devaux. Can you help with these?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: andresfreytez@hotmail.com
Subject: Salah graduates with his Masters degree.
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 09:24:22 -0400
Gosh Salah,
We all Old Boys , wherever we are all over the world , feel so proud of your great accomplishments...congratulations for the completion of your Master’s (if I recall well it refers to on Afro-Caribbean music) at York University , Toronto. Also for the 25th anniversary of your steel band group.
I am copying this great news to my family, some of which will be shortly residing in Toronto. And will hopefully have the opportunity of hearing LIVE yours and your group pan performances!
We are having, back here in Caracas, an OBs dinner on Thursday next and we will surely have a chat to this regard, your success!!!
As nothing comes for free (saga boy) when will you send us a copy of your recital???
Congratulations again.
Andres (Freddy) Freites
Pax in Virtute
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: Salah graduates with his Masters degree.
From: nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 09:12:53 -0400
Wow!
Salah, this is great news. I'm sure that your recital, accompanied by the entire family, was the high-point of the proceedings. You are to be admired and I'm proud of our association as Old Boys. I'm sure I speak on behalf of us all in expressing our congratulations on your graduation and recital. Are you planning to return to Montreal at any time soon, or will you be hanging around Toronto at all? 
And a very special thanks for the unexpected information about Henry Lincoln. This is great too, in that it helps to complete the dataBase we're trying together to build. I'll be in touch with Henry via this message, and invite him to drop us a line to let us know what he's doing with himself.
I've also added his information to the dB, and he can find out about his classmates through the link:
Nigel
(905) 426-8999
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-06-04, at 11:02 PM, Salah Wilson wrote:
Hi Nigel,
Last Saturday June 1st, I had my Graduate Masters Recital at York University,
My wife, children, and grand children came in from Montreal to be a part of the Steelpan ensemble that accompanied me.
It turned out to be a good recital.
We were also celebrating our 25th anniversary as a family Steelpan group.
Jerry Bain and his wife came by and represented the 'old Mount Boys' (Thanks Jerry for the photos)
But I had a unique pleasant surprise when an old friend who attended elementary school with me and also went to the Abbey school.
He now lives in Alabama USA, but was visiting Toronto for a wedding and heard about my recital and wondered if it was me.  
So he took the chance and came by and it was a great encounter after some 42 years since we met or were in contact.
So I would like you to add him in the MSB loop .... the following are his co-ordinates:
Henry Lincoln 
Alabama, USA
(334) 477-6432
henry.r.lincoln@gmail.com
Thanks Nigel
Regards
Salah
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-05-23, at 5:05 PM, nigelreid wrote:
Hi Nigel,
Are you keeping a Data Base on awl ah weh?
Arthur Reid is my youngest sibling; he is still alive and very well, about 53 yrs old.
Lives in Victoria Gardens, Diego Martin, Trinidad.
Trevor David Reid (Chippo), 70 yrs old, died September 24th, 2011, Diego Martin, Trinidad.
Trust Jackie and you all well.
God Bless,
Heather & Nigel.
-----Original Message---------------------------------------------------------------
 From: Nigel Boos
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:10 PM
Thanks, Rob.
Let's check with Nigel Reid.
Hi Nige - I hope you and Heather are both keeping well.
Got a little question for you, please –
When did Arthur Reid die? And who was Trevor Reid?
Your advice would be invaluable, as they say.
Keep smiling. The Lord's a-comin' soon ( I hope).
Nigel
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2013-05-22, at 2:45 PM, Robert deVerteuil wrote:
Hi Nigel,
I note that you still have Arthur Reid as still being with us!!
His nickname was 'Fedo' and I knew him quite well.
I went to his funeral.
He always wore a ship captain's hat and had it on as he lay in the open coffin!
Not sure of his RIP date but it must have been 2/3/4 years ago.
I didn't know Trevor Reid who the db has as RIP in 2011..
Robert
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
66UN0001CLASS69
63UN0001CLASS68, prep A
57IF0028UFE, Urbano Fedak
224606LK12FB, Nigel Boos and the Frisbee,

No comments:

Post a Comment